Anyone used Kroeger's Critter Keepers or Carolina Coops? Looking for feedback and recomendations on custom builders.

Not sure if they deliver just anywhere, so....
Would be good to know......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2547729
Oh yes the folks mentioned deliver to my area. I did update my location as per your suggestion. Thanks!

Linking the exact products you're interested in would help. Carolina Coops come in different sizes and I've never heard of the Critter Keeper.
I would need to have a custom built coop either way as it seems no one has an already existing coop in the size we need to meet the max. county restrictions. Something similar to the pics attached is what we are looking for but in 4x5 with a 40sq ft run.

Attachments

• 6X8-American-Coop-Penthouse-back.jpg
    6X8-American-Coop-Penthouse-back.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 10
  • 6X8-American-Coop-Penthouse-front.jpg
    6X8-American-Coop-Penthouse-front.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 12
  • American-Coop-Penthouse-4x6-back.jpg
    American-Coop-Penthouse-4x6-back.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 13
  • American-Coop-Penthouse-4x6-front.jpg
    American-Coop-Penthouse-4x6-front.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Finding a builder is one thing.
But you must start with a good design that is clearly drawn out,
and make sure the builder follows it.
Learning what makes a good coop is the first thing to learn about chickens.
Thank you. Been doing tons of research for design. Have a pretty good idea of what we want. Just seems like it will need to be a custom build as we have to meet certain restrictions for the county - max is 20sq ft coop and 40 sq ft run and also certain features we would rather have. Carolina Coops seem to be well thought out and quality....as reflected in the pricing too though!

Carolina coops goes everywhere. (Though I would imagine you could build a human house for what many people spend on their huge custom coops! Don;t get me wrong, I would get one in a heartbeat if I won the lottery!) Never heard of the other one.
Yes, right! The price tag though!! We just need a smaller design. I requested a quote on a custom build....we shall see.

Something similar to the pics attached is what we are looking for but in 4x5 wit a 40sq ft run.
That looks pretty decent....got a link to the site?
Good roof overhangs and top hinged windows.
Are the soffits open for winter ventilation?
Might also want gable vents.

No more than 4 birds.

That looks pretty decent....got a link to the site?
Good roof overhangs and top hinged windows.
Are the soffits open for winter ventilation?
Might also want gable vents.

No more than 4 birds.
We would specify open soffits in our plan as well as ridge and gable venting. We typically have mild winters but the summers are HOT (100+ degrees) and humid! Have pretty good drainage at the site for coop, winds mostly from the N/NE.

Link:
https://carolinacoops.com/shop/penthouse-coop/

I love my Carolina Coop. It is definitely made of high quality materials. I put mine together myself, so I can't speak to their assembly but their customer service was top notch. It has made my life so much easier. I added the rain barrel and water bar and it's great not to have to worry about refilling it. Good luck!

Personally, I wouldn't have a coop that I could not walk inside
of. I don't care who makes it. I'm sure these coops are well
made, but they over look practicality. You need function over
form.

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't have a coop that I could walk inside
of. I don't care who makes it. I'm sure these coops are well
made, but they over look practicality. You need function over
form.
Wouldn't have a coop that you could walk inside of? Or wouldn't have a coop that you couldn't walk inside of?

Back
Top Bottom