anyone used lime as flooring in coop?? Pro/con?

I know that there are breathing issues with Ag Lime, and I'd be hesitant to use it in the chicken coop. I use it in my barn and on my manure pile and it's very effective at keep down the flie population. I used the peel and stick tiles in my coop, over 4X8 sheets of OSB board, very inexpensive. I just bought whatever boxes they had on sale and then I stapled them down so I don't get loose edges. Then I toss about 1/2 bag of pine shavings ( I just use the extra fine ones that I buy for the horses) and bed fairly lightly and clean out once a week. I haven't used deep bedding for fear of making the young chooks spraddled.

Bear Foot Farm....thanks for the heads-up on that. I wasn't sure at all what the heck is actually was lol!
dreamcatcherarabians....thanks for the info...I may go the peel & stick route, sounds like you have had no issues with it coming up etc? How long have you had it in there?

with the chemical formula Ca(OH)2. It is a colorless crystal or white powder and is obtained when calcium oxide (called lime or quicklime) is mixed, or "slaked" with water. It has many names including hydrated lime, builders lime, slack lime, cal, or pickling lime. It is of low toxicity
Quote:

Quote:
Agricultural lime, also called aglime, agricultural limestone, garden lime or liming, is a soil additive made from pulverized limestone or chalk. The primary active component is calcium carbonate. Additional chemicals vary depending on the mineral source and may include calcium oxide, magnesium oxide and magnesium carbonate

I have had my peel and stick tiles down for over a year now and have no problems with them at all. If I hadn't used a heavy staple I'm not so sure I'd be as pleased with them as I am, but the staples have made sure they stay put.

@Bear Foot - thanks for the clarification, I thought it was all called ag lime. I am speaking of Quick Lime or Hydrated Lime, ref: the breathing issues.

We're putting linoleum down under pine shavings in our coop too. I found some flooring stores have a discounted area in the back with rolled scraps of linoleum... The end of the roll and such. You pay only for the amount you buy and take a huge discount off. The rolls aren't usually big enough to use in a room, but a coop size is perfect! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom