Anyone want to build this 4X8 +or- COOP... CHEAP!

Quote:
Great! I'm looking forward to pictures of a "tarp coop" and your ideas. Really, there's no reason that it wouldn't last for years. Just don't screw into the top; keep the screws/fender washers on the side to avoid leaks.

ETA Let's see if you can do the whole thing for less than $75.

I bet I can do it cheaper than that. I'll keep track of the cost.

You might want to wrap it in some farm fencing when it's finished... predators ya know.

This is a good idea. I understand the desire for pics but think of it this way (as I understand it anyway)....

2 pallets for the floor, two for the back wall, one on each side wall, two across the top (roof) and two as front doors.

I love the idea as I desperately need more pens for chicks who are in the in-between stage of too big for brooder but not big enough to move to general population.

Are you leaving the pallets as you get them? I mean are you not tearing them apart?
How are you attaching them to each other? I'm thinking wire is not going to be strong enough to hold up two heavy pallets AND alot of snow in winter.
Will chickens get stuck between the slats? I have some really "special" ones who like to try and squeeze into the smallest spaces.

I would REALLY REALLY appreciate some pics as I'm not a conceptual person and learn only by doing or seeing.

Quote:
I'm not personally building one, but if I were, I would leave the pallets intact. A couple of months ago I put 18 pallets together to form three entirely separated compost bins touching one another. I put them together with white #10 electrical wire. The entire project took me about 30 minutes. One bin, 40" high x48"x48" is completely full of wet wood chip bedding and lots of chicken manure composting. The entire structure is very sound.

Quote:

You might want to wrap it in some farm fencing when it's finished... predators ya know.

I am actually building it inside of a run. I am separating my run so I can separate more birds. So, it'll be enclosed.

Quote:

I am actually building it inside of a run. I am separating my run so I can separate more birds. So, it'll be enclosed.

Great idea!

Quote:
Great! I'm looking forward to pictures of a "tarp coop" and your ideas. Really, there's no reason that it wouldn't last for years. Just don't screw into the top; keep the screws/fender washers on the side to avoid leaks.

ETA Let's see if you can do the whole thing for less than $75.

Go to a store like Kroger or JayC (if in Indiana
wink.png
) there are hundreds laying in the back and they normaly get trashed anywhoo. We used to give them away way back when when I worked there.

Here in Cal. the tarp is lucky to last a year due to the sun beating down on it. I use tarps to cover hay stacks for the fall for winter and have to replace it by late spring.

Back
Top Bottom