Anyone want to test my homemade incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by paddock36, Jun 9, 2009.

1. paddock36

paddock36 Crowing

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I feel like a little kid, I build it all by myself. I'm so excited I don't know what kind of eggs to get so I thought I would ask if anyone had any "test"eggs. It seems to be keeping tempurature and working fine.

2. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Songster

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    if you pay s/h I can send you some of mine.i have mutts bantam and lf

3. Iceblink

Iceblink Songster

If I were you, I might try first with local eggs. With all the 'bad experience with shipped eggs' stories floating around, I personally wouldn't do shipped eggs on my very first hatch.

I looked up 'Local Harvest' and found farmers who sell eggs close to me. Then I called and asked if they had roosters in their flock. Then I picked the one with breeds I liked. I thought with all the variables in shipping eggs, and all the variables of a first time hatcher, I would do better with local eggs. Plus, they were only $2.50 a dozen, so no big loss if I screw it up.

Good luck with your hatching!

4. paddock36

paddock36 Crowing

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Thank you both for the offer and advise. I decided to buy a small amount to test. So I'm not out that much if it doesn't work.

5. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Songster

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    Quote:i just checked my local harvest that is such a GREAT idea!! i looked nd found a few people within 15 minutes of me. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: