Anyone with a Three-Legged-Cat? I am a wreck deciding what to do with my boy....

I'm so glad that she's found a wonderful home with you guys - too bad more people aren't willing to adopt special needs cats. :( It's really good to hear that she is agile - I am so worried about Fang having to heave himself around and fall down exhausted at the end of the day. The prospect scares me. Was Lucinda a front-leg amputee? The back-leg one's seem to be better so I'm just curious.

I hope that we can have many more years together... He is just so wonderful. I just worry so much about his quality of life, but from what you're saying, maybe it won't be bad.. :)
Lucinda is a back leg amputee. But I think he could still learn to manage.....

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...97&mid=0&i=40&nmt=Minnie+has+lost+a+leg&mid=0 documents the recovery process of a frot leg amputee.

Hope this helps.

One tip I hear mentioned often is to keep your boy slim and at a healthy weight, so less weight is on his joints.

For me personally, if amputation was not likely to stop the spread of disease, if the cost was too much (this line differs greatly between people), or if the quality of life would be very likely to be poor, I would euthanize. I don't know about the first two, but the outlook for his quality of life seems likely to be very good. It seems like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself about the decision, and that you must do it perfectly correctly. There really is no "right" choice. All you can do is make the most informed choice, and you are alread working hard on that! If you decide to euthanize, I would merely suggest that you have one of the other reasons for doing so. If you decide to amputate, if quality of life is very poor (after giving time for muscles to build up and your cat to adjust), then there are "wheelchairs" to consider made for animals, and if life quality is still poor, then euthanasia can be planned. Hugs and best wishes for you no matter what you decide.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh - people always told me to be careful about animals crawling into the car but I never thought it REALLY happened. That's terrible. But, I'm so glad that it ended up being a happy story for Tiger. Ugh, I wish my vet would tell me what to do sometimes - she just says "it's your choice". It's so hard. And obviously I can make the best decision for my Fang because I love him so dearly but it makes the decision even harder because I have no idea what "Right" is! And it's SO important... I so hope that Fang can learn to be as agile on three legs as your Tiger was, though Tiger grew up his entire life learning to adjust to this style of life. The "crawling" and "creeping" idea is so frightening ! I cannot imagine seeing Fang that way. This story really gives me hope... and I really hope that it's much much harder on me than on him because this is terrible.

I am so appreciative of your willingness to share your story and to help answer my questions. It truly gives me some solace.
Read back on what I said -- Tiger did NOT crawl or creep -- she was upright from the beginning -- Fang will probably have to go through a period of adjustment but he will persevere --
he'll be fine. He will. Please don't end his life because of one crippled limb.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...97&mid=0&i=40&nmt=Minnie+has+lost+a+leg&mid=0 documents the recovery process of a frot leg amputee.
Hope this helps.
One tip I hear mentioned often is to keep your boy slim and at a healthy weight, so less weight is on his joints.
For me personally, if amputation was not likely to stop the spread of disease, if the cost was too much (this line differs greatly between people), or if the quality of life would be very likely to be poor, I would euthanize. I don't know about the first two, but the outlook for his quality of life seems likely to be very good. It seems like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself about the decision, and that you must do it perfectly correctly. There really is no "right" choice. All you can do is make the most informed choice, and you are alread working hard on that! If you decide to euthanize, I would merely suggest that you have one of the other reasons for doing so. If you decide to amputate, if quality of life is very poor (after giving time for muscles to build up and your cat to adjust), then there are "wheelchairs" to consider made for animals, and if life quality is still poor, then euthanasia can be planned. Hugs and best wishes for you no matter what you decide.

That blog about the kitty recovering from a front leg amp really hits home - the kitty even looks like Fang. The first picture on page one is extremely hard to look at because of how similar they look. But, then to have him getting on top of the roof at the end really says something about how well they adapt. Thank you for finding that, I'm surprised that I've missed it. The videos are hard too, though they are hopeful.

Fang is already very slim and has been athletic for his whole life. I don't believe that we will run into weight problems. It looks like the tumor is benign so, likely the disease will not spread. The cost - well I'm one of those people that would spend everything I had to take care of my pet, so I'm fine on that front. It doesn't even phase me. The quality of life seems decent - except that you can't ASK them if they're happy or not, ya know? I have no idea if their lives ever return to the full extent that they were before, though owners seem to be thinking so, so maybe they do.

I've thought about that - euthenizing if we do the surgery and his life ends up very sad - but, I don't want him to go through that AT ALL if it will come to that. At this point he is no pain - he's perfectly happy and has led a really happy life doing whatever he wanted to do, playing outside, and just generally not dealing with many hardships. I almost feel like putting him to sleep now, while things are going so well, is almost the most merciful thing to do. But, see, I don't know what his life will be like - if it will be happy then obviously I'd like to have him live the second half of his life.

Again, thanks so much for the blog and videos - They help me visualize what this process is going to be like.

Read back on what I said -- Tiger did NOT crawl or creep -- she was upright from the beginning -- Fang will probably have to go through a period of adjustment but he will persevere --
he'll be fine. He will. Please don't end his life because of one crippled limb.

Oh yes, I saw that you said he did not crawl or creep - that made me feel much better because the crawling and creeping is what I had been so worried about prior to talking to all of you who've got experience with this. Videos like this one:
bother me the most. That does NOT look like a happy cat. When he's out in the yard, oh my god that video makes me burst into tears. THAT is the "Crawl" I'm so scared of.

No problem at all. I can't watch the video you posted with sound, but the cat in it seems to have adapted very well. He runs very fast in front of his owner in the yard, with his tail curled to the side like mine do when they are playing. :) That is a happy/excited sign. There are two stressed cats at the very end, but the reason for the creeping and crawling is because they are facing off. See how the ears are laid flat, fur is erect, and movements are slow with a fixed stare? That is two cats having a dispute, and they do that no matter the leg number. :D.

The very first clip of him in the yard looks to me like he is purposefully moving stealthily, either to stalk or to not be seen by something else. You can see where he speeds up when close to the bush/cover.

You're very welcome, glad they helped give an idea on what the typical process is like.

Last edited:
I had a cat with 3 legs. She did very well on her 3 legs. I say go for it. You want what is best for your kitty and I know you are agonizing on making the right decision. Life is good, whether 4 legs or 3 legs. Give him a chance.

No problem at all. I can't watch the video you posted with sound, but the cat in it seems to have adapted very well. He runs very fast in front of his owner in the yard, with his tail curled to the side like mine do when they are playing.
smile.png
That is a happy/excited sign. There are two stressed cats at the very end, but the reason for the creeping and crawling is because they are facing off. See how the ears are laid flat, fur is erect, and movements are slow with a fixed stare? That is two cats having a dispute, and they do that no matter the leg number.
big_smile.png
The very first clip of him in the yard looks to me like he is purposefully moving stealthily, either to stalk or to not be seen by something else. You can see where he speeds up when close to the bush/cover.
You're very welcome, glad they helped give an idea on what the typical process is like.

Oh yes, I am all two accustomed to kitty fights. Not all of my babies get along so well when they wander into one-another's territory. The video kitty does run rather alright, but his walk seems laborious. But, maybe he is trying to stalk - he does get quicker toward the end.

I hope this is a good thing for my Fang... ugh.

I had a cat with 3 legs. She did very well on her 3 legs. I say go for it. You want what is best for your kitty and I know you are agonizing on making the right decision. Life is good, whether 4 legs or 3 legs. Give him a chance.

Thanks :). May I ask, was your baby a back-leg amputee or front? How old when you got the amp? Did the vet do anything to prevent phantom limb pain?

Last edited:
My sister's cat was hit by a car and her front leg would just not heal. She eventually had to amputate it. This cat also managed to do just fine. She had an odd hoppy gait to her but she managed to get up on the roof of the house each evening for the remainder of her very happy life just as she had before the accident. If I had a vote, I would say go for it. He looks like he has a strong personality and spirit and will make the best of what he has.

Back
Top Bottom