Anyone with Rabbits???

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
Hey there, I was wondering if anyone have rabbits on here, as pets or producers?

I have 6 rabbits, 1 is a pet, all treated as pets. Rest are breeders of meat and pets. I harvest branches for our rabbits to chew on and would like to sell them to others that have rabbits! I keep the price as low as possible, since it's no fun to buy six 6" thin chew sticks on ebay for $2-3 and then also have to pay for shipping, $5-8. I think that is just crazy!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=8159502#p8159502

I used to have a white with grey patches Rex Rabbit,he died a month ago though
sad.png

I don't have rabbits. . I have a rabbit. I got Rusty as a rescued rabbit strictly for his manure making abilities. Before me, he was a house rabbit until the family had to re-home him.

This winter I have his cage hanging in the chicken coop. It is so much easier to care for him while I'm tending the chickens and checking for eggs.

I am hoping that I can start raising rabbits for meat sometime next summer. I still have to convince "the boss" that raising our own meat is a good idea. He's not real tickled about the chickens just yet.

Thanks for the reminder. It is nearly time to prune the orchard. For some reason Rusty doesn't like to chew. I have given him apple wood prunings, but he just lets them sit, or tries to toss them out of the cage.

My Avitar shows my chicken coop with Rusty in his play yard last summer. He is the white spot under the shade tarp.

Last edited:
I had rabbits. 4 of them. The first one I got was about 8 years ago. She only lasted a year. A lop long haired all white girl named, mopsey. We had lady a minirex.
We got Brownie who was a lop again. They lived happily for a few years, then Brownie died. I got oreo, he was a minirex breed. HE and lady lived the last years together. Sadly lady died. I believe she was about 5 years old when she passed over to the rainbow bridge. Lastly was oreo, he lived a long 7 years old. He was awesome. Actually all of the rabbits were wonderful. Mine were house trained to use a litter box, and never caged. They did destroy woodwork around the house. they sure loved to nibble. I have their photos in frames, I will always cherish them. Funny, When i was growing up I always wanted alot of animals. animals of all kinds. Rabbits are interesting creatures. THey have such characters. people whom never have owned rabbits just dont know how really awesome they are.
i dont have rabbits now, I got into chickens. (lol)) maybe one day again.

I was just remembering what fun they were. THanks for the reminder.

We have three rabbits that we got this fall for breeding and producing meat mainly for our own family. We give them pieces of pecan branches from our pecan tree which is constantly losing limbs when the wind blows. They love those things.

My pet Holland also doesn't care to chew. Californian buck doesn't chew much either, or eat like a pig. Everyone else eats them like candy!

I have lots of rabbits: Mini Satins-Red, Black, White , Otters Blue & Black. New Zealands, Californians & Netherland Dwarfs. We show and do sell some culls in the larger breeds for meat.
I give mine sticks from the yard and orchard to chew on and also pinecones.

www.bunchsbunnybarn.net

I raise Holland Lop rabbits on a very small scale, focusing on chocolates and blues, aiming for show quality. Right now I have 9 Holland Lops and 2 mixed rescues.

Yip, I have quite a few rabbits.

Right now American Blues, New Zealand Whites and Californians (although I'm getting rid of all my Cali's and just focusing on perfecting the other two breeds). Right now I have 11 different litters and more on the way... busy, busy, busy...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom