Anyone's Chickens Roost outside?

Last week I was out there working and the wind picked up like a mini tornado, then came the hail followed by snow. The branches were moving pretty good. They all started squawking and I'm yelling at them to get in the coop. For once they listened to me.

:gig too funny I can imagine this... my buffs always run straight to shelter.. the Eggers are the stubborn ones :p

I first started with buff Orpingtons which are good little chickens who go to roost inside their coop provided

I have now 9 month old Easter eggers who have always refused to go in the coop and roost atop coop doors, roof etc.
I would suspect there may not be enough roost space inside and/or pecking order issues.

So how do you fix pecking order issues? Just wait it out?
Don't think you can, it's their thing-not ours.
Only thing you can do is make more roost space for them to use.
I've sat in the coop and watched the RoostTimeRumble...
...it's crazy, but then they all settle in and nod off.
<shrugs> it's just how they do.

All 4 of mine roost outside during the summer. They sleep in the cactus gardens next to my back door. It gets 100+ degrees around here too.

When the colder weather hits I pop them in their house, but don't lock them in there. It is insulated and has lots of ventilation plus straw for them to mess around in. They sleep in there when it gets really cold. If a freeze is hitting or ice rain I make sure they are in there after it gets completely dark because they aren't the sharpest knives in the chicken coop or any coop for the matter and will likely just stand around in the snow staring blankly at the fence.

Don't think you can, it's their thing-not ours.
Only thing you can do is make more roost space for them to use.
I've sat in the coop and watched the RoostTimeRumble...
...it's crazy, but then they all settle in and nod off.
<shrugs> it's just how they do.
Mine all sleep piled on top of each other. :lau

Mine all sleep piled on top of each other. :lau

Right? This is why I don't think it's an issue. They do have space to spread out and they really don't. Sometimes 5-6 huddle together. The only one on her own is the head hen and I think that she wants the whole roost to herself unless it's the rooster. Sometimes the younger ones squeeze next to him because she won't bother them with him there.

Back
Top Bottom