Anyone's September chicks laying yet?

write2caroline

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Jacksonville
I am just curious.

I have bantam cochins not good layers anyway and a dominique, two blue orps and one black orp. They all look ready to lay - bright cherry combs but alas no eggs yet. Just thought I would check in with all of you who had September chicks to see if anyone has had some first eggs yet.

Top photo posted by accident - He is a roo so of course no eggs from him.

Caroline from Florida

I got 6 baby chicks in September and have no eggs yet either. Only one has red comb - the others are still growing their combs. 2 are silkies so I don't know how well of egg layers they are, but the others should be good producers but no eggs yet! I can't wait!

We got our four on the 29th of August (almost September) and we just now got our 3rd egg. I'm pretty sure it's our RIR and one of the Orps laying.

They are pretty slow yet, I'm assuming the daylight & their age. Hoping that by spring I'll have so many eggs I won't know what to do! HA!

Got ours on Sept 7th. Six GC, one BO and one Amerucauna that I'm pretty sure is actually an EE. Got our first eggs last Saturday, three of them. Have gotten 12 total this week although 2 were "water balloons".

Mine hatched Sept 23rd.
I guess I figured that since I am in Florida the light issue was not an issue. The rooster is trying to breed with them but Mine are not squatting just the combs are bright and cherry red. Perhaps they are still too young to start laying.

I guess we are about three weeks too early.

I have had layers before and I do remember the relief we felt with the first eggs.

I shall keep you posted and I hope you do likewise as we are on the egg watch! Congrats to those you are getting eggs!

My friends have given me about 50 egg cartons in anticipation!

A couple years ago I was giving eggs away because we had so many eggs. I cannot wait until mine start to lay some eggs.

Caroline

Mine hatched Sept 23rd.
I guess I figured that since I am in Florida the light issue was not an issue. The rooster is trying to breed with them but Mine are not squatting just the combs are bright and cherry red. Perhaps they are still too young to start laying.

I guess we are about three weeks too early.

I have had layers before and I do remember the relief we felt with the first eggs.

I shall keep you posted and I hope you do likewise as we are on the egg watch! Congrats to those you are getting eggs!

My friends have given me about 50 egg cartons in anticipation!

A couple years ago I was giving eggs away because we had so many eggs. I cannot wait until mine start to lay some eggs.

Caroline

Wow, our chicks are only three days apart but my girls don't have combs at all, their waddles and cheeks are pinkish/red...all the rooster have full combs and waddles and are crowing...

Still no eggs but Jacksonville weather decided to join the rest of the nation and have winter. might even snow tonight. I am not holding my breath. It is cold but it does not feel like snow. I loved the first snow falls when we lived in New York. I think it is a little too warm.

My bantam cochin rooster finally started crowing and improves each day. His crow almost sounds like a proper crow. Just shy of completely confident. He is looking so handsome now too.

My Four Standards all have bright red wattles and combs but if they are laying - I have no idea. They are not laying in the nest boxes. I moved them into the catawabe coop. they tend to sleep in the one nest box. The freezing temps are temporary and the weekend is suppose to be in the 80's once again.

I am feeding them layer feed so hopefully we shall see some eggs soon.
I hope I hope I hope!!!!!
bow.gif

Talk to all of you soon!!!!!

Caroline

Mine were hatched around the 26th...Not laying yet, not really expecting it til late next month, although there waddles are red and their combs are starting to grown in....Cant wait for that first egg!!

How are you and your chickens! We started together remember? (well me first batch, your newest batch!) Found my first egg yesterday, soft and sort of squashed on the poop board, but with intact white and yolk, 4 are squatting/crouching when you pick them up...No other s as of 3pm today...and two of those cherry red combs just in last few days, just after these were taken! They are about 19 weeks now.

Back
Top Bottom