anything i can do for cataracts?

autumnmfisher

Songster
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
North East, PA
I just got this new hen - a white pair actually. but the hen I was told has cataracts. here are some picts. is there any way we can help her or does she just have to live like this? any ideas? I didn't know cataracts would make her eyes swell like that. other wise she seems fine - health wise. Def can't see much, just follows the other birds around. the new birds are separated - in our cow barn actually in some stalls we're not using, so its - well - where cows were before.

Here's the new male

And good old Houdina - still can't keep this girl caged - although the barn is actually working :)
All our birds - even the new pair are four - five years old.

@autumnmfisher - Have you taken this girl to a vet? If not, can you do so?
Who told you it's cataracts, the previous owners?

We've got some people here with pea eye problem experience who will hopefully advise you. However, I'm wondering if it is some kind of infection - it is hard to imagine that kind of swelling from cataracts. If it is an infection you would want to treat it asap so she doesn't lose her sight.

There are some threads here about cameo or peach that discuss loss of eyesight, but that is due to genetic causes, as I understand it.

I just got this new hen - a white pair actually. but the hen I was told has cataracts. here are some picts. is there any way we can help her or does she just have to live like this? any ideas? I didn't know cataracts would make her eyes swell like that. other wise she seems fine - health wise. Def can't see much, just follows the other birds around. the new birds are separated - in our cow barn actually in some stalls we're not using, so its - well - where cows were before. Here's the new male And good old Houdina - still can't keep this girl caged - although the barn is actually working :) All our birds - even the new pair are four - five years old.
As @new 2 pfowl suggested I would seek further help. I will be honest with you and from my personal observations that looks like a post effect of a previous untreated infection that got out of hand and somehow it survived, i would be willing to bet it was much worse prior. I highly doubt cataracts as the culprit and I have no idea what could be causing it nor do I know how to repair it. Can you tell if the bird is blind by chance? especially since its new to the environment. If you seek vet help please keep us posted on the diagnosis so that we may learn as well, thank you so much for sharing and caring,
1f44d.png
. Gerald Barker

The previous owner told me she had cataracts. I can start antibiotic tonight. I took his word for it. she can see. she reacts when I walk by, but does not roost so I know she can't see good. I read a few of the threads. going to put the triple antibiotic cream on her. treating them with antibiotics in water also since they are new. Hope something helps her. she is very gentle.

Thanks guys!!!

If it doesn't help i'll take her to a vet, have never taken one but have one that told me she'd take peafowl.

Birds skulls, like ours have open cavities and Im suspecting a previous serious sinus infection that has hardened if that makes sense. I wonder if @casportpony or @KsKingBee have seen anything like this?

Gerald Barker

If it doesn't help i'll take her to a vet, have never taken one but have one that told me she'd take peafowl.

Birds skulls, like ours have open cavities and Im suspecting a previous serious sinus infection that has hardened if that makes sense. I wonder if @casportpony or @KsKingBee have seen anything like this?

Gerald Barker

I have seen the bulging eyes, but only in chickens, and it never ends well. Eyes are not something you want to try to treat without the help of a vet, so I say get get her to a vet sooner rather than later.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom