ANYTHING I CAN DO TO KICKSTART EGG LAYING?

EggMan186

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 18, 2014
This Spring my folks and I decided to start raising some chickens. We have a variety of hens. (2 ISA Browns, 2 Wyandottes, 2 Jersey Giants, 4 Easter Eggers, 2 Brahmas, 1 RI Red, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff) They are all approx. 22 weeks old and only the 2 ISA and 1 of the Wyandottes are laying. Not sure if there is something we should or could do to help or if they will lay when they are ready. Any help would be Awesome!!

This Spring my folks and I decided to start raising some chickens. We have a variety of hens. (2 ISA Browns, 2 Wyandottes, 2 Jersey Giants, 4 Easter Eggers, 2 Brahmas, 1 RI Red, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff) They are all approx. 22 weeks old and only the 2 ISA and 1 of the Wyandottes are laying. Not sure if there is something we should or could do to help or if they will lay when they are ready. Any help would be Awesome!!
Youv'e got a lot of good layer breeds, there's nothing you can really do to "kickstart" it. But one thing that would help if you haven't already is give them layer feed as regular feed now, an dif you haven't put ceramic eggs in the nest boxes, it helps guide them to laying in the nest box.

Sounds good! Just wanted to be sure it wasn't something we were missing. We have switched over to layer feed and have golf balls in the boxes. While im asking, Is there a ratio or certain way to feed them oyster shells? Thanks for your time and help!!

Are they free range? If so, make sure they haven't found a different spot to lay.

I have 5 laying hens, but when we were getting fewer than anticipated we went looking. Found 1 of the hens laying under the wood pile (and found 6 eggs in there with her!)

They have their coop and then a large fenced in part of the yard. I did a quick walkthrough of the yard to make sure they hadn't found a corner outside to lay. Also checked the little nooks and crannies inside. No luck. Just taking their time I guess. There have been a lot more of them in the boxes checking things out the last several days! Maybe all at once!

Not that this would help you now, but I once read that having a rooster helps them lay earlier. I don't know if this is a proven fact, but I had a rooster and all mine started laying around 16-18 weeks.

Just to let you know, all but 2 have started laying now! I never would have thought raising chickens would be so interesting! It has been and continues to be so cool watching them and learning about them!

Back
Top Bottom