Anything I need to know before getting Red Goldens?

Takeylla

Songster
5 Years
Oct 8, 2018
USA, South Carolina
so I read a lot about these birds and pretty much know the basics, like they need an aviary, don’t house them with or near chickens and ask if they are unrelated when I get them and take a good look at the parents before getting the birds. I know they eat gamefowl feed and that they need shade to keep they’re colors from fading. As well as all that basic care stuff. What else do I need to know about them before getting them.

Here's their call.

It's not as loud as roosters and you should be fine noise-wise as long as you don't have really grumpy neighbours. Also they don't do it in the middle of the night like roosters do.

Just give them a nice large space to roam around, closed in of course. I'm guessing you know they fly.

Also, would you get mature birds or young ones? Young birds are cheaper but you have to wait a year or two before they can breed (and fully colour up).

You can keep them in pairs or trios. Without enough females or space, males housed together will fight.

And you know how to tell if a golden is pure or a lady amherst hybrid?

And yes, getting unrelated pairs is important. I have a pair of goldens, I had only intended to get the male but the guy I got them off offered me a female he didn't want for free (she has an egg-eating problem). I can't breed them though because they are siblings (also the male picks on his sister like a typical brother). We are getting a girlfriend for him soon because he is desperate and makes his pheasant call daily (maybe even hourly).

I think that's it. I have only gotten mine fairly recently (April), but I do all the research I can do on them. Sorry if this is a lot, I just love them and love to talk about them. They are my favourite pheasant species.

When are you getting them?

Here's their call.

It's not as loud as roosters and you should be fine noise-wise as long as you don't have really grumpy neighbours. Also they don't do it in the middle of the night like roosters do.

Just give them a nice large space to roam around, closed in of course. I'm guessing you know they fly.

Also, would you get mature birds or young ones? Young birds are cheaper but you have to wait a year or two before they can breed (and fully colour up).

You can keep them in pairs or trios. Without enough females or space, males housed together will fight.

And you know how to tell if a golden is pure or a lady amherst hybrid?

And yes, getting unrelated pairs is important. I have a pair of goldens, I had only intended to get the male but the guy I got them off offered me a female he didn't want for free (she has an egg-eating problem). I can't breed them though because they are siblings (also the male picks on his sister like a typical brother). We are getting a girlfriend for him soon because he is desperate and makes his pheasant call daily (maybe even hourly).

I think that's it. I have only gotten mine fairly recently (April), but I do all the research I can do on them. Sorry if this is a lot, I just love them and love to talk about them. They are my favourite pheasant species.

When are you getting them?
Oh ok, and I’ll get them once I build they’re enclosure, and find the right Breeder with a good price for pure Red Goldens

We used to have a male which was very pretty and I absolutely love his call. Where I lived, it pretty much just blended in with wild birds and no one knew what the noise was.

We tried and tried to get him a female but unfortunately no one was selling any even remotely near us.

At one point he was housed with my quail with no issues, he had even been housed with peafowl, parrots and rabbits (a giant aviary). Our pheasant was pretty laid back though so I wouldn't risk it with some of them.

He'd occasionally try to mate the rabbits which was quite odd to see :gig

Since we couldn't get him a female we decided to sell him on to someone that already breeds them as they were wanting a new bloodline for their group.

They're very pretty birds though and make for some great photos too!

IMG_5512.JPG

IMG_7851.JPG

There he is sneaking in on the last photo! :lau

Back
Top Bottom