Anything I should know about getting NPIP certified? Are they looking for anything specific?

Everyone passes NPIP. Because it's not pass or fail, it's just sign up to be monitored.

Just curious, what does AI have to do with chicken testers ignoring ducks?
The first is patently untrue.

NPIP is a POULTRY program, not exclusively a chicken program. Ducks are a known reservior for AI in the wild - the disease isn't nearly as fatal (or even debilitating) to them as it can be for chickens. I had hoped that the State of Florida, where I live, and whopprovides free testing to NPIP participants, would also test the ducks in my combined free range flock for AI. Rather disappointingly, the inspector chose not to do so.

Having said that, if my ducks were carriers for HPAI, I 'd have lost many or most of the chickens shortly thereafter. High mortality is a defining trait of HPAI. Since I've lost neither chickens nor ducks to disease the last two years, its clear in retrospect that they weren't.

I've not investigated what I need to do to get my ducks included in my NPIP registration - but the F'rs are so hard to catch free ranging, I'm not strongly motivated to do so. I'm also not under a major migratory flyway, so my risks are lower than many.

The first is patently untrue.

NPIP is a POULTRY program, not exclusively a chicken program. Ducks are a known reservior for AI in the wild - the disease isn't nearly as fatal (or even debilitating) to them as it can be for chickens. I had hoped that the State of Florida, where I live, and whopprovides free testing to NPIP participants, would also test the ducks in my combined free range flock for AI. Rather disappointingly, the inspector chose not to do so.
You get it for free?!?! Man, I had to pay $75 dollars for it, and let’s be honest, that’s pretty much my allowance from the year. Honestly I knew something was off there, because everything she did I know how to do and could have done it myself for 20 dollars. Sad 😢

You get it for free?!?! Man, I had to pay $75 dollars for it, and let’s be honest, that’s pretty much my allowance from the year. Honestly I knew something was off there, because everything she did I know how to do and could have done it myself for 20 dollars. Sad 😢
Some states charge for it, some don't.

Everyone passes NPIP. Because it's not pass or fail, it's just sign up to be monitored.
Here, an NPIP tester drove 15 miles from town, flipped 14 adult chickens on their side, flipped up a wing, drew blood, tested them each by doing some mixing with something to see if it turns purple. I didn't pass because I just "signed up" to anything and I haven't heard of a place where they get by doing that. I passed because she tested my flock and they passed. I really wish we had national standards for it though as here in WI, this is considered lax compared to many.

She only charged $20 so we tipped her $5.

Back
Top Bottom