Anything I should know about getting NPIP certified? Are they looking for anything specific?

TesoroSena

Crowing
Jan 5, 2023
Tennessee
Hello, thanks for checking this out! I live in Tennessee, and tomorrow I have someone coming to check my birds to get me NPIP certified.
I have been building additions lately and have been cleaning up my coops, but I need to know if there is anything they will be looking at that might deter them from giving me certification? I breed my own meat birds, and they are not the most cleanly, so we have to routinely check for lice. We are dealing with it and it is working and such, but we are in the middle of treating them… will she not give me certification if they have lice?
Like I said, I am building additions and some have open insulation on the roof. The chickens can’t reach it, but will that affect anything?
Any information would be really appreciated! Thanks again!!

I would look it up on your state's agriculture page as each state is different. Too bad it's not national.

For example, in Wisconsin, we need nothing to ship eggs and only need a Wisconsin Tested Flock OR NPIP to show birds or to ship chicks.

She just came out here and took one chicken at a time and drew a little blood from under their wing. Chicks 4 months or less are exempt.

I would look it up on your state's agriculture page as each state is different. Too bad it's not national.

For example, in Wisconsin, we need nothing to ship eggs and only need a Wisconsin Tested Flock OR NPIP to show birds or to ship chicks.

She just came out here and took one chicken at a time and drew a little blood from under their wing. Chicks 4 months or less are exempt.
Thank you! So she won’t pay a lot of attention to our biosecurity measures?

Just saw this, now that I'm at lunch.

Locally, all they care about is passing the tests. CONGRATS on yours, btw. They don't look at biosecurity or conditions and facilities at all (they do for a FL Limited Egg and Poultry license - I had one of those, too, didn't renew this year) , but not for NPIP. During the height of AI these past two years, they wouldn't even test the ducks I have free ranging among my chickens - which one would think would be a big bio security hazard...

Locally, all they care about is passing the tests. CONGRATS on yours, btw. They don't look at biosecurity or conditions and facilities at all (they do for a FL Limited Egg and Poultry license - I had one of those, too, didn't renew this year) , but not for NPIP. During the height of AI these past two years, they wouldn't even test the ducks I have free ranging among my chickens - which one would think would be a big bio security hazard...
We cleaned up so much, all the research we did said we had to have a biosecurity measure, so we made one. It’s fine, wasn’t that big a deal other than the boot scrubbers, which are sort of annoying. Anyway, thanks for checking this out I’m so happy we passed 😅

I had a small rubber bowl - probably a 3 gallon stock tank-type - I used to fill with water, splash of bleach, keep my $9 Walmart knock-off crocs in. The ducks started drinking it, and I couldn't keep enough bleach in the water to ctually do anything about whatever was sticking to the bottom of my shoes.

Gave up on the effort real fast.

I had a small rubber bowl - probably a 3 gallon stock tank-type - I used to fill with water, splash of bleach, keep my $9 Walmart knock-off crocs in. The ducks started drinking it, and I couldn't keep enough bleach in the water to ctually do anything about whatever was sticking to the bottom of my shoes.

Gave up on the effort real fast.
lol Yep, I have seen many give up on biosecurity, even Sanderson Farms. Normally, the big trucks are supposed to deliver food to the chicken houses are told to stop at the front entrance and get out and spray all their tires with disinfectant. LOL None of the drivers care to do it after working there for more than a few months. They only care about hurrying back to get another load of feed for the next farm because the more loads a trucker delivers, the more money in the truckers pocket. And a lot of times the spray is empty, too! lol

But they have to deliver the feed so the chickens don't go hungry. So, if there is no disinfectant that day, the feed trucks have an excuse, I guess.

But, it just goes to show how big chicken companies get away with everything they say you are not supposed to do for biosecurity health reasons.

In fact, NPIP gets away with much more than Sanderson Farms does. Would anyone like to know about it?

I did it! We passed and we are going to be getting our certificate in the mail! Thanks yall!
Everyone passes NPIP. Because it's not pass or fail, it's just sign up to be monitored.

Just curious, what does AI have to do with chicken testers ignoring ducks?

lol Yep, I have seen many give up on biosecurity, even Sanderson Farms. Normally, the big trucks are supposed to deliver food to the chicken houses are told to stop at the front entrance and get out and spray all their tires with disinfectant. LOL None of the drivers care to do it after working there for more than a few months. They only care about hurrying back to get another load of feed for the next farm because the more loads a trucker delivers, the more money in the truckers pocket. And a lot of times the spray is empty, too! lol

But they have to deliver the feed so the chickens don't go hungry. So, if there is no disinfectant that day, the feed trucks have an excuse, I guess.
I didn't give up on biosecurity - I maintain a closed flock, substantial distance from neighbors, no visitors, routine testing. I did give up on changing shoes for entering the chicken area. I also work from home, and wear different shoes when leaving the property. Just don't bleach my cheap crocs knock offs daily anymore.

Back
Top Bottom