Apologies for not responding. Questions are not loading. (Update on my 2 ducklings.) šŸ£

It isn't cruel to not give ducklings toys, the only stimulation they *need* is companionship. The necessities are food, water, warmth and friends. They're perfectly happy

Toys are a nice touch, and some ducklings enjoy them. But no one is being "cruel" if they have a simple brooder setup

I'm not sure what you can do to make a boot, I didn't have this problem. But I hope you are able to get it sorted asap.

Do you have a plan for the future, for if your duck doesn't brood?

Hi,
I corrected my comment regarding ā€œit seeming cruel not to give ducklings toys, and I apologize.
Iā€™m double tasking right now and what I meant was for a lone duckling with no companionship. My wording was wrong and Iā€™m sorry if I offended anyone.
Thatā€™s not me at all and Iā€™m very sorry to have sounded disrespectful in any way.
Thank you for correcting me. :thumbsup

Amy
I totally understand the fear of hatching babies and having them go to homes then end up in a freezer
I myself do not eat my ducks and never could
They are my pets like my cats and dogs
I like to screen my buyers
I understand more and more about living off land and growing your own food including meat.
I think my last buyer may eat some but she runs a beautiful farm and he animals are will looked after. If she gives them the best life thatā€™s all I can ask for
I just donā€™t want to know if she eats then
I would rather a buyer give them an amazing shorter life then a longer neglected life
My brother and sister in law raise their own meat and they needed a mature drake I had one to many here but I did strictly say he was never ti end up in the freezer as he is a pet
I will take him back before that happens but am fine with what they do with the offspring from him.
I am soft like you are and I love my birds dearly

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, I hope you're okay and that she feels better soon.

A while ago you mentioned that you didn't want all these babies and that you're incubating them because you feel they're alive and want to save them, opposed to eating the eggs instead? But fertilised eggs aren't "alive" until incubated so we were all a bit confused.

It's understandable not wanting your birds to be used for food, but you're really going to struggle to keep this many birds, especially without a proper ratio. You could advertise them for a good price and that should keep the folks looking for meat birds clear. As well as specifying that you want good homes for them. It's definitely possible to find homes for them, but if you keep hatching you'll keep getting birds, keep getting boys, and the chances of finding good homes are slimmer. And if you keep them, that could cause your hens to suffer being out of ratio
I completely agree.
Itā€™s been a real struggle as you know, but I totally understand what your saying.
I want to keep the ratio correct so my hens are safe.
We, personally donā€™t eat duck eggs, but I know that they are very healthy and great for baking.
Sometimes I forget that they are not ā€œaliveā€ until incubated or under a broody hen.
As Iā€™ve mentioned, Iā€™m overly sensitive at times and a lot of it comes from my job. Iā€™m a Clinical Psychologist and I hear heartbreaking things every day.

Awayway, after a long family discussion my oldest daughter mentioned that she would like to have a little farm stand over the summer and sell the eggs, fruit and veggies from our garden.
We discussed it and think itā€™s a great idea and it will also teach her that she needs to work for things instead of holding out her hand.
We decided 16 is the maximum amount of ducks for us. To ensure safety I have read the proper ratio is 3 hens to each drake. Is that correct?
Our friend, who has a large working farm has a brother who knows how to determine the sex of all fowl, and he is going to come by on Saturday. After we find out we will proceed with making a decision on which ones we are going to keep.
The 2 drakes we have now that are almost a year old are fighting relentlessly. One doesnā€™t even have any tail feathers left because the other pulls them out during their fights. They also peck us, claw us and latch onto our pants. They have really hurt us many times and we donā€™t really understand why they are so aggressive. They were raised very gently and have always been very well cared for.
They are so different from our 2 month olds who just want to eat from our hands, be petted and sit on our laps.

My husband wants to re-home them to our neighbor with the large farm, but I feel guilty of course and donā€™t know what would be best for everyone. I just feel that when you take on responsibility for an animal you must follow through and not give up, but Iā€™m starting to really worry about their constant fighting and one or both getting severely injured.

I answered a question yesterday about what my intentions are from a member I donā€™t know or have ever spoken to.
I gave a long, detailed answer only to be told ā€œthatā€™s not really an answer.ā€ I was told that Iā€™d have to wait and see which ones are males and told Iā€™d have to think about ā€œthe ovenā€ā€¦
I try to be as detailed as possible and I have no problem with questions at all, but thatā€™s something Iā€™d never say to a stranger who is new and just learning.
I didnā€™t say anything negative back and was very polite, as Iā€™m here to learn from knowledgeable people, and to be respectful and kind to others.
It takes a long time to learn and understand everything I need to know, but Iā€™d rather not think about cooking my animals. Iā€™m well aware that some people raise meat birds and I have nothing against them at all and would never say anything offensive about it. Itā€™s just something that we personally do not do.

So, that is our plan, and I will not be incubating anymore. Iā€™m going to leave that up to nature if we do decide to try for more, but this summer we will be selling or giving away any further eggs.

Oh, and today is the second day our duckling is wearing her boot and sheā€™s getting along very nicely and walking on it very well. šŸ„°

Have a blessed day,
Amy

Here are 2 of our ducklings in their diapers hanging out in the kitchen!!
They are so sweet! ā¤ļø

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    731 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    608.5 KB · Views: 5
I completely agree.
Itā€™s been a real struggle as you know, but I totally understand what your saying.
We, personally donā€™t eat duck eggs, but I know that they are very healthy and great for baking.
Sometimes I forget that they are not ā€œaliveā€ until incubated or under a broody hen.
As Iā€™ve mentioned, Iā€™m overly sensitive at times and a lot of it comes from my job. Iā€™m a Clinical Psychologist and I hear heartbreaking things every day.

Awayway, after a long family discussion my oldest daughter mentioned that she would like to have a little farm stand over the summer and sell the eggs, fruit and veggies from our garden.
We discussed it and think itā€™s a great idea and it will also teach her that she needs to work for things instead of holding out her hand.
We decided 16 is the maximum amount of ducks for us. To ensure safety I have read the proper ratio is 3 hens to each drake. Is that correct?
Our friend, who has a large working farm has a brother who knows how to determine the sex of all fowl, and he is going to come by on Saturday. After we find out we will proceed with making a decision on which ones we are going to keep.
The 2 drakes we have now that are almost a year old are fighting relentlessly. One doesnā€™t even have any tail feathers left because the other pulls them out during their fights. They also peck us, claw us and latch onto our pants. They have really hurt us many times and we donā€™t really understand why they are so aggressive. They were raised very gently and have always been very well cared for.
They are so different from our 2 month olds who just want to eat from our hands, be petted and sit on our laps.

My husband wants to re-home them to our neighbor with the large farm, but I feel guilty of course and donā€™t know what would be best for everyone. I just feel that when you take on responsibility for an animal you must follow through and not give up, but Iā€™m starting to really worry about their constant fighting and one or both getting severely injured.

I answered a question yesterday about what my intentions are from a member I donā€™t know or have ever spoken to.
I gave a long, detailed answer only to be told ā€œthatā€™s not really an answer.ā€ I was told that Iā€™d have to wait and see which ones are males and told Iā€™d have to think about ā€œthe ovenā€ā€¦
I try to be as detailed as possible and I have no problem with questions at all, but thatā€™s something Iā€™d never say to a stranger who is new and just learning.
I didnā€™t say anything negative back and was very polite, as Iā€™m here to learn from knowledgeable people, and to be respectful and kind to others.
It takes a long time to learn and understand everything I need to know, but Iā€™d rather not think about cooking my animals. Iā€™m well aware that some people raise meat birds and I have nothing against them at all and would never say anything offensive about it. Itā€™s just something that we personally do not do.

So, that is our plan, and I will not be incubating anymore. Iā€™m going to leave that up to nature if we do decide to try for more, but this summer we will be selling or giving away any further eggs.

Oh, and today is the second day our duckling is wearing her boot and sheā€™s getting along very nicely and walking on it very well. šŸ„°

Have a blessed day,
Amy

Firstly, separate your drakes, it sounds like they're hurting eachother, and it won't improve anytime soon. It is spring, going towards summer, and hormones are going crazy. That means your hen is going to be overmated which will endanger her life, and your two boys are going to fight. I strongly advise separating the most aggressive drake. Their behaviour towards you has nothing to do with how they were raised, it has to do with overwhelming mating hormones.

If you have a neighbour with a farm and knowledge on ducks- I say go for it. Don't feel guilty. What is best for these animals is that they have space, and plenty of hens to mate. Your female duck is currently in danger, and your drakes are currently suffering. As I said previously, rehoming is part of being responsible. If they can have a better life somewhere else, in a better ratio where they wont be ripping eachother apart, then responsibly make that choice for them.

Jacin replied "that's not really an answer" because it wasn't an answer, respectfully. You spoke on your intentions for your flock, in good detail, but you didn't actually state whether you'd still be hatching etc. And no one said you'd have to think about "the oven". We understand how difficult it can be, and how scary rehoming is when you're attached to an animal. You do not need to consider selling them as food. But that doesn't mean you should completely turn your back on the idea of selling drakes etc. The important thing is that the flock doesn't suffer, and it will if out of ratio.

Yes, 3 hens is a good number per drake. But some boys are very aggressive and hormonal, so may need more. The rule is 3-6 hens per drake. It varies based on temperaments, but your current boys sound intense.

It's good to hear that you don't plan on incubating repeatedly, and selling the eggs etc sounds like a wonderful idea! Would also go towards covering costs.

Amy it's important that you realise this, we all understand here that you're still learning. But this is why it's so important to listen to the advice. Each member who has responded to this thread has done so out of consideration and concern. No one here is judging you or trying to pressure you into something you don't want to do. We simply see some of the hurdles you're running into, and we're doing our best to help you over them, and deter you from those well walked roads. We've all had to learn from our mistakes, and none of us want you or anyone else to repeat them.

I completely agree.

Have a blessed day,
Amy

I second what @BelovedBirds has said
Itā€™s nothing to do with how they were raised
Hormones are strong and you donā€™t not have the girls to satisfy those boys at this time
I wouldnā€™t have more then 4 drakes with 12 girls.
I just had 5 boys 11 girls and had to re home one of my boys to my brothers along with one of the girls so he has a buddy he knew
He now has 7 girls to himself ( lucky boy )
Itā€™s settled my flock down as him and his brother I hatched 1.5 years ago would gang up on mom duck
Now dad can chase off one and there isnā€™t a second one going after her
I had mom and dad separated from the flock for months because of this
I cried my eyes out as Iā€™m very attached to my crew
But I knew this was best for my daisy
Now they are back with the pack
When my boys do fight itā€™s minor and nobody is ever left without feathers or harmed im
Also adding in 2 more girls this summer so will have 12 girls 4 boys

Back to your issue
Now that the one drake is very aggressive pulling out feathers ect you need to keep them apart or you may find a badly beaten up drake or even a dead one
They can be very brutal at times
I Would find a home for the most aggressive one
Glad the boot is working for the little one
Hopefully it settles the issue

Yes!
I just answered a question regarding our plan. It would be very helpful to know their sex in making our decision.
As you know we love our ducks and all of our animals and want to build the appropriate flock for us.
There are so many different opinions regarding how many females to have for each drake. Essentially, we would like to have a decent size flock, as we have the room and the resources to do so.
We would like to have approximately 16.
I was told 3 females per drake, but itā€™s imperative that we find out who is female and who is male.
Right now we have 7 happy ducklings, 2 female Pekins and 2 Muscovy drakes and one female.
We have been looking for another female Muscovy of the same age since we lost our other lovely girl, but Iā€™ve had a hard time.
I know itā€™s terrible to have a lone female with 2 drakes, and we tried several ways to separate them, but when we separated her she became depressed and stopped eating, then we separated the drake that lost his mate and the same thing happened.
I really need to sex them, but each time we try it proves to be almost impossible.
Iā€™ve watched a ton of videos on how to do s, but with all the kicking and squirming we just canā€™t do it.
Itā€™s imperative that we find out the sex before making a decision. We donā€™t want too many drakes and not enough females.

As you know Iā€™m still learning. Iā€™ve only just started raising ducks last June, and there is SO much to learn if we want to do everything right. Thatā€™s why I ask so many questions.
I donā€™t mean to annoy anyone or come across wrong in any aspect with any of my comments.
This group has been an amazing, life saver for me and the amount of support and kindness Iā€™ve received is truly heartwarming.
In regards to my comment about it being cruel not to give ducklings toys was simply made out of my personal experience because Iā€™ve had line ducklings and having toys and mirrors helped tremendously with being alone until the next one hatched.
Iā€™m not insinuating that anyone is being cruel to their animals, and I certainly apologize if it came across that way and I will fix my wording immediately.
The absolute last thing I want to do is offend anyone in this fantastic group of kind and knowledgeable people.

Thank you as always for your support and kindness. ā¤ļø
Mirrors are okay, but be extremely careful with toys. Unfortunately they can come apart, then the ducks (or chickens) will try to eat the parts that come off. Bells have the thing that makes them make the noise, that can come off. Beads can come off and then they get eaten. We had a roost bar our chicks used when little, the bolts came off and someone ate them, thankfully all is well, but I now keep anything with tiny metal parts or beads out of the brooder and run and far away from the chicks/ducklings. They also will eat fabric if it comes apart which can also cause issues.

Sometimes it is better safe than sorry. I love my ducks and chickens too and not giving them certain toys is for their protection. I learned the hard way and stayed up for weeks wondering if someone in my flock would die from the parts missing from the small roost bars.

Mirrors are okay, but be extremely careful with toys. Unfortunately they can come apart, then the ducks (or chickens) will try to eat the parts that come off. Bells have the thing that makes them make the noise, that can come off. Beads can come off and then they get eaten. We had a roost bar our chicks used when little, the bolts came off and someone ate them, thankfully all is well, but I now keep anything with tiny metal parts or beads out of the brooder and run and far away from the chicks/ducklings. They also will eat fabric if it comes apart which can also cause issues.

Sometimes it is better safe than sorry. I love my ducks and chickens too and not giving them certain toys is for their protection. I learned the hard way and stayed up for weeks wondering if someone in my flock would die from the parts missing from the small roost bars.
Absolutely agree
My ducks do have a few toys but they were quality checked. Nothing with loose threads, or beads that could detach

I ended up using certain parrot toys, and some baby toys. Those ended up being the safest options

Back
Top Bottom