Appearance of Biel X RIR as chicks?

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
A maybe odd genetics question. We recently hatched 4 chicks. Father is a Bielefelder, mothers could have been Jersey Giant, RIR, or Black Australorp. I believe the survivors were 2 RIR, 1 BA, and 1 JG. I know for a fact that there was only one JG, as the other JG failed to develop. The other BA egg never pipped. So by process of elimination, we should have had 2 Biel x RIR chicks.

Previously we hatched 3 chicks that were Jersey Giant x RIR. I expected that all of them would be black as chicks, and they were.

On the second group I would have expected a variety of appearances, but all are black with a white belly and a white spot on top of the head.

What coloring should a Biel x RIR chick have? I should think somewhere between the appearance of their parents as chicks, but that does not appear to be the case.

And while it is always possible that I mis-identified the eggs, I was hoping for a chick from our now deceased RIR.

A maybe odd genetics question. We recently hatched 4 chicks. Father is a Bielefelder, mothers could have been Jersey Giant, RIR, or Black Australorp. I believe the survivors were 2 RIR, 1 BA, and 1 JG. I know for a fact that there was only one JG, as the other JG failed to develop. The other BA egg never pipped. So by process of elimination, we should have had 2 Biel x RIR chicks.

Previously we hatched 3 chicks that were Jersey Giant x RIR. I expected that all of them would be black as chicks, and they were.

On the second group I would have expected a variety of appearances, but all are black with a white belly and a white spot on top of the head.

What coloring should a Biel x RIR chick have? I should think somewhere between the appearance of their parents as chicks, but that does not appear to be the case.

And while it is always possible that I mis-identified the eggs, I was hoping for a chick from our now deceased RIR.
It sounds like all your chicks came from the black hens, and none from the Rhode Island Red mother.

Chicks from Bielefelder x RIR should be mostly red or brown, probably with some kind of patterning or striping rather than a solid color.

Bielefelder rooster with either kind of black hen should produce black chicks with a light spot on the top of each head (which is what you got.) The black back & white belly are normal for chicks of black breeds, and the spot on the head is caused by the barring gene (inherited from the Bielefelder father in this case.)

Back
Top Bottom