Appeasing Chicken Hating Neighbor

I went to talk to her, personally, to apologize for any offense. I assured her that we have had the chickens for a couple of months and that we've been keeping them clean enough that she didn't even know we had them until she saw my husband over the fence. She apparently had to "endure" several years on a ranch with all kinds of animals and she is now enjoying the "toxic" clean of suburbia. She makes her husband spray for everything ... flies, mosquitos, ants, etc. She's afraid of the bird flu, flies, the smell, life in general. I guess we will just move the coop away from the fence and keep it "out of sight -- out of mind". But now I'm concerned about my garden next to their toxic yard! Oh, she spent our entire conversation hiding behind a security gate, holding back her large dog. Thanks for all of your kind words and support.

Quote:
Oh That POOR WOMAN! Endure FRESH Air, Real LIFE, OH The HORROR! I am glad you are reaching some sort of peace with your neighbor. I'd butter my other neighbors up good in case she decides to be a real PITA. Her husband was a rancher? HMMMM wonder who forced the move. It continues to amaze me how "STERILE" suburban americans are, they don't honestly appreciate what life is really about. Best of luck to you!

My Goddess!!! Dontcha just wanna shake some people and say "$hit won't kill ya but all the sprays may"
I feel sorry for her poor hubby.
Hiding behind a security gate, holding her large dog...All that crime in suburbia...She's just a loon...no offense to loons...

I think your neighbor needs to see a shrink. Sounds like she is on the fast track to agoraphobia sp, and she wants everyone to go crazy with her.:mad:

None taken, Spotted Crow.

tongue.png

chel

Sounds like you have done what you could. Good job.
If she sees that you are going to keep a clean place, she may come around. I'd just try to keep my stuff away from their area. You might also remind her nicely that the chickens will help with bug control...and then maybe take her some eggs when you get some coming regularly. Peaceful gestures can't hurt.
smile.png

It sounds like the poor creature is a basketcase.
I applaud you for going over to see what her exact concerns were. With a normal person, this probably would have been enough to allay fears and get things back on track, but this woman sounds like a special case.
It's just as well you moved your girls' coop - who knows what pesticides are flying over?

You are all so kind and supportive. You are putting the joy back into the chickens (who are at present tilling, weeding and fertilizing my garden while my husband grumbles loudly building the whole new coop! He's taking a Lego Starwars break at the moment). Thank you all!!! I will take the high road ... I'll be kind, even if it gives me an ulcer ... hopefully she'll just keep her peace and stay in her toxic cave and our girls will be "out of sight out of mind" for her.

Back
Top Bottom