Appenzellar Spitzhauzen - Roo or Pullet?

MPchxnBtch1124

Chirping
Jun 8, 2020
Hi all,

We got this chicken by accident at Blaines (clearly part of someone's special online order) and figured it's an Appenzeller Spitzhauben. I'm not familiar with this breed and would like to know if it's a roo or a pullet. It's been crowing (I know hens can crow, too), and not sure how lucky we would be getting a pullet due to the fact this bird is only sold as a straight run. It's 12 weeks old now. Also, can/should I cut its hair? It's ridiculous 🤣 but really want to make sure it can see. Thanks all!

Attachments

• IMG_5506.jpeg
    IMG_5506.jpeg
    735.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5507.jpeg
    IMG_5507.jpeg
    857.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5509.jpeg
    IMG_5509.jpeg
    926.5 KB · Views: 12
Hello!

I’m pretty sure that it’s a cockerel :)

Yes, you can trim the crest feathers. Often times it’s best to do this for birds with large or sight-obscuring crests so that they can see better. This will allow them to avoid and escape predators easier, as well as not get stuck too low in the pecking order simply because of their inability to see well. Usually it will need to be done once a year, but it may be more depending on how far back you trim the feathers. :)

Ohh dang, I feel dumb I totally got the breed wrong! So appreciate you all for taking the time to review and comment - Thank you!!

I’m not very experienced or knowledgeable in Polish breeds, but I did think that Appenzeller Spitzhaubens looked different than the cockerel in the pictures when I saw it. I believe that Appenzeller Spitzhaubens are black and white with a smaller crest, correct?
Spitzhaubens come in gold and silver. However, the difference is in the crest and the pattern (spitzhaubens have a smaller, forward facing crest and are spangled rather than laced).

Back
Top Bottom