Appenzeller Spitzhauben anyone?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by princess araucana, Jan 18, 2010.

1. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I haven't seen them in hatchery catalogs. Curious where to get a few hens. Anyone have or know where? They seem like cool birds. Do you have anything to say about them?

2. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Ideal Poultry sells them...they just list them as Silver Spangled Spitzhauben. They are listed under White Egg Layers.

3. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    Cackle and SandHill have them. Cackle Calls them German Spitzhauban, but they are the same thing. I order some from Cackle and they turn out really good. They are one of my favorite breeds. They website is www.cacklehatchery.com I hope that helps.

4. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I know Meyers Hatchery carries them. http://www.meyerhatchery.com/get_list_229.htm

I
    don't have any Spitzhauben, but I did get the Silver Spangled Hamburg from Meyers and it's a really nice bird. Lays an egg every single day for the past 18 days straight! Much better than the RIR's or BR's I have [​IMG]

5. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    thanks! Did not realize they had so many names and it's nice to know which hatcheries are best after hearing how hatchery stock in general is not optimum.

6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    McMurray hatchery has them. here is the link www.mcmurrayhatchery.com . I have not ordered this particular breed from them before, but I have gotten lots of chicks from them in the past and will actually put in an order for more this year.

7. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Before you order, you'll want to look at other people's birds- there are birds coming out of hatcheries that look like Spangle Polish being called Spitzhaubens.

I wish I could remember who is doing that...

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I got mine from Cackle. Good birds.

9. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    We have them, but they haven't picked up laying again yet. They are quite docile birds, easy to pick up and handle : )

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    (raising hand)

Allenwranch and I are into the Appenzeller Spitzhaubens and they are beautiful birds! Finding breeders are fewer and farther in between but there are some in Facebook that might have some in there.

OKCarla's or Carla in OK does have some and a few on Eggbid and Ebay. Just be careful who you buy the hatching eggs from.

I can not atest about the Spitzhaubens at Sandhill and a few have said they just look like the hatchery type. We got alot of work to do to "clean up" the hairdos.

See the BYC link on the Spitzhaubens I started on:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by