Apple Cider Making Scraps for Chickens

Red-Stars-in-RI

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Rhode Island
I have a homemade cider press. I can get drops pretty cheap, and this year we've made almost 35 gallons of cider in two pressings (hope to do 1-2 more small pressings this season to really fill the freezer with cider).

My flock (currently 21 birds) get all the scraps...even though I'm getting apples cheap, I like to use ALL of the apple!

The girls seems to enjoy them, and either from being consumed or composted by the constant scratching, the scraps are all gone from the run within a couple of weeks. So far no ill effects, and this is the third cider season I've had chickens.

IMG_2872.JPG
IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2892.JPG

I've read on BYC that apple seeds are toxic. Maybe not a problem then, since yours have been eating them for 3 years. Another myth busted?
Your cider looks good!

Yes, I've read that apple seeds (and some other seeds) have trace amounts of cyanide, but I'm literally giving the seeds from 10+ bushels of apples per season (probably closer to 15 bushels worth this year) to my flock, and no ill effects, so I think the amount must be a VERY small trace.

I've got no apple trees growing in the run, so I'm assuming the seeds are getting eaten.

Back
Top Bottom