Apple Cider Vinegar Dosage????

Quote:
They get worms from the environment of third-party sources (vectors) such as earthworms that digest the eggs or larva and then are eaten by birds.

Many parasites stay in the bird, never passing, and instead they shed eggs. The eggs stay in the environment and are picked up by chickens. Certain environmental conditions allow eggs to become infective (which is why dry conditions help - they don't trigger the development). From there they go into the bird, and grow and develop depending on the type of worm. Many attach themselves to the digestive tract (though larva and different species can be anywhere in the bird - the trachea, the crop, the lungs etc) and cause scarring and inflammation. The inflammation prevents the bird from being able to digest their food well. That's why i'm not a big fan of the "oh birds can live with worms" theory. Chronic inflammation is chronic immune lowering.

Birds can bring worms, earthworms, beetles and what not do carry them (dogs and cats usually not eating earthworms and beetles).

DE will not keep them from getting an infestation but is used to hopefully lessen the number that birds pick up. It hopefully helps. But the only way of knowing for sure is by doing a fecal egg count (since a regular fecal is ineffective as worms tend to stay in the animal to live). If you're every curious and want to avoid worming, get a vet to do a "fecal egg count" and be sure to ask specifically for that as sometimes their staff will just hear and write down "fecal" which, to a poultryman, isn't worth paying for.

Apple cider vinegar doesn't expell worms, no matter how many people think it does - unless you used so much as to really harm the bird. It's benefits are in keeping the gut pH friendly for good bacteria, and unfriently for pathogens like bad bacteria and fungi. The pH of a normal gut isn't that bad for worms. Making a gut too much more acid would also make it too acidic for good bacteria. So it's mainly used as a tonic to help the gut stay healthy, replace some good lactobacilli, and such as that.
smile.png
It's good stuff for that - really wonderful.

Quote:
I do it twice a year here with a broad spectrum wormer after a first-time worming with a narrow spectrum wormer for safety's sake.

I always do Wazine once (or only*) in the bird meets any of these criteria:

- The bird hasn't been wormed with a broad spectrum wormer in over 6 months
- The bird is underweight and/or has diarrhea
- The bird is shedding any worms, or a worm was shed in the flock
- The bird is under four months old*
- The bird has an unknown worming history

Then I go back (in birds over 4 months old) and worm with one of the broad spectrum wormer: ivermectin 5% pour on, fenbendazole, levamisole, Valbazen.

I'm taking a look at Rooster Booster's triple action wormer to take the place of one of those wormers as it requires no withdrawal times.

If you use a broad spectrum as the follow up, you kill not only adults but larva and stop the cycle somewhat.

The rest of worm control is about hygiene, keeping dry ground (sand is better than soil, dried horse stall shavings are better than hay, etc), not crowding birds, not hand feeding any earthworms, keeping fly populations down, lots of space, etc.

Since I have at least one bird that has shed worms do you think I should worm with the wazine?
Also what is the egg withdraw time with this drug?

Last edited:
Try Diatomaceous Earth Add a volume of 2% to the feed amount. Adding this to the feed supplies the flock with trace minerals boosting their nutrition. Use on a daily basis as a worming preventative/treatment mixed in their feed. This works I have used it every 6 months for about two weeks to take treat and prevent worms.

Try Diatomaceous Earth Add a volume of 2% to the feed amount. Adding this to the feed supplies the flock with trace minerals boosting their nutrition. Use on a daily basis as a worming preventative/treatment mixed in their feed. This works I have used it every 6 months for about two weeks to take treat and prevent worms.
DE will not prevent nor treat worms. It is ineffective when wet. It's wet inside the chickens innards. Been there done that with DE, waste of money.
Valbazen or Safeguard will take care of worms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom