1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Apple Tree - Need some advice!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by magine48, Jul 3, 2016.

1. magine48

magine48 Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    New Jersey
    Hello,

I planted two apple trees this season and I'm having some concern over how one of them is growing. It seems to be sprouting new growth up its entire trunk. I've attached a photo for reference. Can anyone tell me how to handle this? Thank you![​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    That is a very healthy looking young tree. I am no expert but trying my hand at growing dwarf fruit trees in containers.

Here's an interesting article on Plant Hormones that effect how the trees grow and IMO help in learning how to prune and shape them:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/gardennotes/145.html

IMO looks like the growth you are seeing is a sign the root system is growing well and best to research when would be the best time for the species and your area to prune the unwanted growth.

Hopefully someone with Apple Tree experience will give you specific advice.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Is that a dwarf tree or a semi-dwarf or normal? I’m not sure what you have at the base, if that is some kind of staking or just a wrap to protect against mice and such chewing the bark. I’ve recently learned that they recommend dwarf apples be staked, semi-dwarf and normal not so much. I’ve never staked mine but I generally grow semi-dwarf or normal sized anyway. At least some apples stay high enough the deer can’t get them.

To your question, that looks normal to me. All that growth is above the graft. If it were sprouting below the graft I’d say remove it now but I’d wait until this winter and it has gone dormant to prune those branches off. Right now that tree is establishing a root system, that is what is most important. Lots of leaves can help it grow roots. You can handle pruning this winter.

You are doing great. Keep it up.

4. magine48

magine48 Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    New Jersey
    The tree is a dwarf Apple. The white at the bottom is just a guard against mice and weed whackers.
    Thanks for the kind words and advice! I feel much better now. I will let it grow and prune this winter as planned.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  5. CaitlinM

CaitlinM Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Maryland
    We just remove any growth like that. Your tree was prob grafted Thad is growing back from the root stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by