Appleyards or Indian Runners

Dec 24, 2019
Alberta Canada
Hello I am just getting into birds and am wondering which would be better on a 3 acre farmstead Indian Runners or Silver Appleyards. I am looking primary for egg production but I would also like to eat a duck or two as they hatchery I am looking at only sells straight runs and I don't want to start breeding just yet.

I have runners and love them! They are so fun to watch and you can herd them. I have never eaten one so I can’t attest to flavor or how much meat they would provide.

I have both appleyard and runner ducks. My appleyard is by far the chattiest, but she’s extremely friendly too and a real character. They’re an excellent dual purpose breed, get to a decent weight quickly without excess fat, at least compared to Pekins, and lay a good amount of nice large eggs. Mine matured rather slowly, didn’t start laying until March this year, and she was hatched in May 2019, but once she started laying she’s been consistently giving an egg a day. While molting. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Hasn’t lost any weight and isn’t eating a ridiculous amount of food either.
My runner is just a baby but chock full of personality. She’s quirky and fun, I feel like they’re a little more shy but with a bit more attention I’m sure they’d make a fine addition as well. Definitely wouldn’t see much worth in eating them however. Far too slim. Better to keep them as layers/pest control in your yard/garden. Excellent foragers for sure. :) this little one has been trying to eat bugs that barely fit in her bill. I’ve had to take them away so she doesn’t choke. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom