Approx 7 week RIRs

iward05

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2017
Other than the obvious sex link rooster can y'all confirm that these are hens? I'm pretty sure the Leghorn is a hen but I'm wondering about the RIRs. Also how do you tell at this age

Attachments

• IMG_2067.JPG
    IMG_2067.JPG
    1,023.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    998.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2070.JPG
    IMG_2070.JPG
    589.8 KB · Views: 14
Looking pullet with the WL and RIR/Production Reds from what I can see.

At 7 to 8 weeks of age, the roosters have large, red combs, that scream rooster.

I can't see well enough in the photos to be certain, but no one is screaming rooster. You have some precocious combs with the Production Red and WL, but the pullets get that way especially from the hatchery lines as they are bred for faster maturity (and earlier egg production). Which means the roosters generally have clearly large, red combs. Anything palish yellow and moderate is usually a hen, even if it has a little blush...but they can fool ya.

You'll have a good idea by 10 weeks. Roos will have fully developed combs while the girls will still be small to moderate and yellow or just a little blush. Side by side the appearances are very noticeable.

Most roosters of WL and RIR/PR will be crowing by 10 to 12 weeks, and you'll see the development of saddle feathers...although those can take up to 20 weeks to develop.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom