APRIL HATCH-A-LONG come join in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a bantam or standard??? I had another salmon faverolle hatch while I was at work but it looks allot smaller then the others. Could I have gotten a bantam egg mixed in with my standards? Or is he just a runt?
4521390699_b17666f918.jpg

Quote:
Oh, that's curious! Are there holes big enough for a snake or rodent? If not then for sure, it's her. The hens seem to know a lot about what's going on with the eggs & can sort them. Hope you figure it out. Even better, happy hatching!

I told another chicken friend about the broken egg. He said that it happens all the time. The egg gets caught in the hen's wing and when she gets up and out of her nest, it falls out and breaks. So, she's down to six eggs.

I just finished putting 77 eggs into lockdown. They aren't due until Friday night. But I found four eggs with pips, and one is zipping!
ep.gif
These were all in the Hovabator 1588 which regulates the temperature automatically with an automatic turner. It must be running hot. I had a thermometer in it, and it ranged between 100.2 and 100.9. Oh, I wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow!

I have 1 adorable little barred olive egger in the bator! I forgot to mark the due dates on those and the BCM eggs that I got with them. My broody Cochin has 1/2 of those too, so hopefully there will be more in the bator when I get home and some under the Cochin soon!

UPDATE!: 5 chicks hatched out of 23 so far! Four of them hatched last night. I woke up this morning and was like "That sounds like more than one chick!". I could hear all the peeping from my closet when I was laying down. I checked earlier this morning around 2am and there was two hatched, so the other three surprised me. It's currently 7am here right now, and the five are in the brooder. I had to sprinkle the remaining eggs with water because I had to open the incubator to get the chicks out so I don't get the Jersey Giants and Australorps mixed up.

So... my ducklings continue to surprise me... Massive after just over a week!

Is it possible at this stage for a ducklings tail to be turning upwards like a males would... cannot write it correctly but three of the four were carrying their tails parallel to the ground and one was standing straight...

indian runner ducklings by the way...

Definitely do not want 3 males... would mean selling 2... Another batch in the incubator due early may... May just vent sex them today due to their growth...

Quote:
They're so cute! If you acquired standard Favs eggs, then I would trust that. The chicks don't always come out the same size, but they often will catch up in size by about a year. One of my Bantam Faverolles was even smaller than the other bantams when hatched from a tiny egg. Now she is looking the same & getting wider. Have fun with your new chickies!

Quote:
I recall with the ducklings that I had years ago, that the males tail showed a little curled feather upwards & the females did not. Will be interesting to hear what you come up with.

Here's my babies! My very first time hatching eggs, and having chicks, actually. Two hatched the 12th, one the 13th, three on the 14th, there's one egg still in the incubator.
The whole brood
DSCN0277.jpg

SOOOO cute!
DSCN0282.jpg

The three on top are the RIR and the two on the bottom are the Buff/RIR mix
DSCN0287.jpg

This is the last one to hatch, it was the first one to Pip and the last one to hatch. It's left leg is splayed so I did the band-aid brace and you can see it is now not only standing, but running around with the band-aid on. It does a somersault every time it tries to scratch it's head though...Still it made it, I was told it would die, I am soooo glad I had this site to find a way to take care of this little sweetie. It is darker in color and smaller than all the others too.
DSCN0290.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom