AquaSol Dosing Confusion

Chickie77

Chirping
14 Years
Dec 16, 2009
Hello all! I am trying to deworm my small flock for the first time, and have gotten myself a bit confused. I have a container of SafeGuard AquaSol. The instructions say dose, 1 mg/kg.

Total estimated body weight [kg] of the chickens to be treated x 0.005 mL = mL Safe-Guard® AquaSol/day

My flock is an estimated 16kg x .005 mL = .08 mL/day

This seems like an absurdly small amount of medicine to me, but maybe I'm crazy? I've seen people say a pea size amount per chicken, but this would be a pea size amount for 7 chickens. Perhaps they were talking about a paste form?

I have a 1 ml syringe, and am reading this as requiring me to add less than .1mL

LOL. I guess I just want someone to tell me this makes sense before I do it so I don't under or overdose my ladies!

Thanks!

Hello all! I am trying to deworm my small flock for the first time, and have gotten myself a bit confused. I have a container of SafeGuard AquaSol. The instructions say dose, 1 mg/kg.

Total estimated body weight [kg] of the chickens to be treated x 0.005 mL = mL Safe-Guard® AquaSol/day

My flock is an estimated 16kg x .005 mL = .08 mL/day

This seems like an absurdly small amount of medicine to me, but maybe I'm crazy? I've seen people say a pea size amount per chicken, but this would be a pea size amount for 7 chickens. Perhaps they were talking about a paste form?

I have a 1 ml syringe, and am reading this as requiring me to add less than .1mL

LOL. I guess I just want someone to tell me this makes sense before I do it so I don't under or overdose my ladies!

Thanks!
What did you decide to do in the end?
I called my vet and she told me to mix 1.25 ml with 1 liter of water, new batch each day for 5 days, and toss the eggs for 2 weeks.

@Chickie77 1.25ml seems like a large amount. I use .07 for my 8 hens and 1 rooster. But you only need to mix it in the amount of water they would consume in 1 day instead of a full gallon. Then repeat daily for 5 days. Also you shouldn’t have to toss the eggs if you are using aquasol for poultry. It’s a dewormer that does not require an egg withdrawal.

@Chickie77 1.25ml seems like a large amount. I use .07 for my 8 hens and 1 rooster. But you only need to mix it in the amount of water they would consume in 1 day instead of a full gallon. Then repeat daily for 5 days. Also you shouldn’t have to toss the eggs if you are using aquasol for poultry. It’s a dewormer that does not require an egg withdrawal.
1.25mL is a large amount for what Safeguard Aquasol is intended for in commercial poultry. Aquasol is labeled at a very low dose only for treating Ascaridia galli (adult stage roundworms) and Heterakis gallinarum (adult stage cecal worms). For treating anything else, including gapeworms and several kinds of tapeworms, the dose must be higher and thus there needs to be egg withdrawal. I bought a Liter of Aquasol thinking the zero egg withdrawal time would be nice, but because I want to deworm for more than the above 2 listed worms I'm going to end up having to increase the dose.

Back
Top Bottom