1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aracauna and Lav Orps

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bald k9, Sep 27, 2011.

1. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    hello ,Is there a way to sex orps and a 1 to 3 days old? And it there a way to sex Aracaunas at 1 to 3 days old, I think Orps can be feather sexed but I am not sure thanks for the help, I am picking them up at the farm Friday and I get to pick my own chicks, Also ,Anything different about the Aracauna,besides being rumpless? thanks again

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Araucanas - Green legs, no beard/muffs, some may have the desired tufts. They're often smaller when young/chicks too.

As for sexing either at 1-3 days, vent sexing is the only method however it depends on the color of Araucana. Some can be sexed at birth by color.

3. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    What color chicks are sexable?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Duckwings, if bred in a sex-linked manner or any manner in which you can get Golden type males. Also, some duckwings can be sexed by the position and amount of "eyeliner." It all depends on the parents though, but lighter yellows with less showy and bold of stripes are often males, and often Golden Duckwing in color.

Also Cuckoos can be sexed. Not everyone has them but many people don't realize some of their Araucanas have residual barring, that when born, is very apparent. Males have a large, smeared yellowish sometimes white spot on the head and neck, females a small yellow to white colored dot on the head.

Any other color is too hard to sex by color or just simply can't be sexed by color. However, I find if an Araucana is a cross of black/blue/splash and another color, the girls are born with more blue/black/splash influence than the brown or gold appearance from the other genes. (usually duckwing)

What I mean is, if a chick is kinda two-toned but not in a striped or marbled way, the more red or yellow on it (usually in the face), the more likely it is a boy.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by