Aracauna and 'Polish' Hen or Roo?

fancyfeathers38

Songster
8 Years
Nov 15, 2011
Australia.
I need some help sexing these two chicks I bought today.
The first is a Lavender Aracauna, but I am not so sure that the next is a purebred Polish.
He/she has a single come and not the giant nostrils of most Polish.
I am pretty sure they are hens but I need a second opinion cause Ive been told they are very hard breeds to sex.
111807_dsc_0328.jpg

111807_dsc_0327.jpg

111807_dsc_0357.jpg

And the polish chick:
111807_dsc_0311.jpg

111807_dsc_0358.jpg

111807_dsc_0316.jpg

I am really hoping that they are hens.
Who doesn't love those wonderful colored Auracana eggs?
big_smile.png

i apologize. i misread. i do not know about the sexes. the first chicken, however, doesn't appear to be an araucana. maybe mixed?

Last edited:
hmm. where are you? in the us? europe?

if in the us, no beard, no muff, and no top hat thingie. also, no tail (per the standard, however, you do see some with tails and partial tails). they should have tufts (although, again, this is per the standard, and you do see them without tufts - - actually, you see a lot of them without tufts - - mainly for breeding purposes). many mixed breed chickens affectionately referred to as "Easter Eggers" (due to their colored eggs) are often inaccurately called araucanas by hatcheries and subsequent owners who do not know better. they are not. araucanas are a true breed.

if in europe, the standard is different, and i believe, calls for tufts, muffs, beards, and tails. the hatchery issue isn't an issue, as i understand it, in europe.

Araucanas don't have the crest on top of the head in any country. That bird has some Polish mixed in there. To me, the lavender bird looks like a male. It's fairly pink through the face. The other is a hen.

Back
Top Bottom