1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Araucana chick - what color is this? is it an obvious roo or pullet?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by smoothmule, Oct 9, 2010.

1. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Of three eggs hatched, there are 2 obvious black chicks and this one. I've hatched a splash before and it was yellow with markings. This one has very faint chipmunk striping and it's on a pale, grey tones. I'm stumped. I've though silver duckwing and even blue duckwing or something like that. Any guesses? I'll post when it feathers out as a learning tool for me as well as anyone else trying to learn down colors.
    Just 12 hours old or so.

[​IMG]

3 days old

[​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    In the second pic, it kind of reminds me of my mottled araucana.

3. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Humm, hadn't thought of that one but then I often think I don't know a thing about chick color anyway, [​IMG]
    I'm just tickled to have it, it's been tough getting started. Are you still selling hatching eggs? I have 3 from Lanae and 3 from Ann Charles and you're one of the breeders I was really hoping to have chicks from.
    Cathy

4. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    How does the mottle gene work? Any idea of what color the hen and roo were if this is a mottled chick? Now I really can't wait to see what color it will feather out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by