Araucana Chicken not laying

sunnybabi1986

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
We have 6 chickens, the most we're allowed within city limits. All 6 of them are the same age and 5 of them have been laying for over 8 weeks now, but we have one Araucana chicken who lays blue/green eggs and we have not seen a single egg from her yet...she's getting the same feed, calcium, daylight, etc as the other 5, but she's just not laying yet...is this normal for a single chicken to be so far behind on laying? I did some researching but couldn't find anything indicating whether or not her breed has anything to do with it...any ideas?

How old is she?
Do you let your chickens roam your yard?
If so, she might be laying, just in her own spot in the yard.
Good luck!

Some pullets take longer to start laying, egg laying breeds usually start around 5 months, pet or fancy breeds can often take to 8 months or longer. Have you ever gotten eggs from her, is there any chance she is laying brown eggs? Where did you get her? Sometimes breeds which are supposed to lay blue/green eggs will lay brown eggs.

How old is she?
Do you let your chickens roam your yard?
If so, she might be laying, just in her own spot in the yard.
Good luck!

She is 8 months old...we let them roam several hours a day, but not everyday. I wish we could, but we have a chicken killing dog in our neighborhood who has killed every chicken in our neighborhood except hours because we are so paranoid and don't let them run without being supervised. There is a possibility she has a "spot" in our yard, but I keep a pretty close eye on them and especially her because I was suspicious that she was laying in the yard...haven't seen her lay yet, though.

Quote:
We bought her at a feed store as an Araucana and she fits the breed description *perfectly* so I'm certain she is this breed. I suppose she *could* be laying brown eggs, but we've been getting exactly 5 eggs per day consistently for 2 months and we have 6 chickens...somebody isn't laying. They were alternating days when they first started laying and we'd get a random amount each day, but it's consistently been 5 eggs/day now and I've watched all the other girls go into the coop to lay, them come back out, announcing to the whole world that they just laid an egg. She's never once done this. I suppose she may just be holding out on us for awhile, I read that a rare few chickens will wait until 10 months to lay and she's 8 months now, so...??

If you do find a stash of eggs from her, then do the egg float test before you eat them,
to make sure they are safe to eat.
smile.png

Last edited:
Getting 5 eggs a day doesn't mean only 5 are laying. Most chickens do not lay every day. In 20 years of chicken keeping, I have of course gotten the same # of eggs per day as the # of chickens, but it isn't going usually happen everyday. Your chicken may be laying brown eggs or she really may not be laying yet. Time will tell.

Did your Araucana ever lay? I have one that is almost 7 months old and she hasn't laid an egg yet. I am told they are 'excellent layers' especially over the summer months, but I am yet to see a single precious egg.
Thanks
smile.png

I am in the exactly the same boat. We have 6 girls. Mocha is our only Araucana. We get 4-5 tan or brown eggs daily. Not one single green/blue. Also...we have never seen her in the nesting boxes. We only let ours roam supervised because of hawks and foxes.We already had one lost to hawks in the coop!

It took my Aurucana 9 months before it laid it's first green egg. I had assumed I must have gotten an easter egger and it was probably laying brown eggs like my other hens. Most eggs I had gotten were 5 in a day out of 6 hens. But 3 days ago, my Aurucana finally laid it's first green egg and I've gotten 3 green eggs in a row. Yesterday all 6 hens laid eggs, my first 6 egg day!

I guess with Aurucanas you just have to be patient.

I feel your pain. I have 3 Aurucanas. They are 9 months old. I thought I was going to lose my mind waiting for them to lay. My 5 other chickens (4 golden comets & I leghorn) lay eggs everyday. The leghorn is the same age as my Aurucanas. She started laying before them. Anyways TODAY I found my first Green egg.
1f60d.png
1f633.png
I was shocked & thrilled. That first egg from a non layer is a celebration.

Back
Top Bottom