Araucana chicks and polish whats???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kathrynmodra, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Kathrynmodra

Kathrynmodra Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    Hi Everyone

Just starting this thread by saying that I live in South Australia. Really difficult for me to source chicks as we don't have hatcheries available. Only 2 registered breeders. I was so excited to come across a lady who had lavender araucana chicks. I decided to get 6 of them. I did my best to guess which ones were hens, I am really hoping that I didnt choose 6 roosters! I read what I could before going to get them and know they are hard to sex. Mostly I just picked them hoping for the best. Also the chicks grew up in an old tin barn with a dirt floor. They are not really in the best condition (well they are a bit dirty) but they seem healthy. She thinks they are 2-3 weeks old.

Can anyone see any hens or roosters???

[​IMG]

I also ended up with two Polish cross somethings.... THey have not been handled at all. I hope they come around because they are really scared. But I think they are lovely little things. She said they are hens and probably about 15 weeks old. Does that seem right? They are much much smaller than my 10 week old leghorns, so Im guessing whatever they are crossed with is a bantam? Do they look like girls?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your input!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    The Polish cross are pullets.

Bit too early to tell on the araucana chicks.. too vague and not fair to say but one looks male, a couple look maybe female but nothing confident just yet. In the picture they seem to be feeling a little cold.. might still need a heat lamp, at least for nights?

would like to remind other US folks- Australian araucanas are different from US araucanas. It's something of a big mess with several breeds being constantly mislabeled over here so some people are sensitive about that.

3. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    British Tailed Araucanas are notoriously difficult to sex. I bought two 12 week olds from a breeder near me; we both though they were pullets.
    Well about 2 months later, one started growing saddle and hackle feathers, although he never crowed. I ended up swapping him for another pullet.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

4. Kathrynmodra

Jul 10, 2013
    Thanks Kev and K Spot. I'm really hopeful, if I got 2 or more pullets I'd be over the moon.

And Kev, yep they now have a light on and are basking in it's warmth! I was having difficulty working out how to hang it at the time, and ended up using a clothes horse and wire coat hangers!

I don't know what they difference is between countries, but I am not trying to pass these off as high quality show birds in any way. They are purely back yard hens, just for eggs and to keep the weeds low amongst the fruit trees as we have a problem with brown snakes always hiding in the weeds. Their mothers lay lovely blue eggs, which is why I wanted to get some. I get the feeling there is not much effort into breeding around here, the two registered breeders were an elderly lady who didnt have the internet or a cell phone, and a 17 year old boy who has some chickens as an after school hobby. I'm very envious of people in the states who can order amazing breeds of the internet and get them delivered. We dont seem to have such a service that I have seen. We can order limited breeds in eggs though.

Thanks again, I might wait a few more weeks then upload some more photos. I would like to rehome the roosters before they crow, so the neighbours have nothing to complain about.

[​IMG]

5. K Spot

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    The Araucanas of the US and South America are rumpless and have ear tufts.

Do a quick google search, and you'll see how different they look to our BT Ara's [​IMG]

6. Kathrynmodra

Jul 10, 2013
    Yes, British Tailed Araucana! Looks exactly like what the chicks parents were. Very nice birds, quite pretty. Can't wait until they grow up.

7. K Spot

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    A BT Araucana is my avatar. My little Lavender girl, until she decided to fly over the run fence and "play" with my dogs.. [​IMG]

8. Kathrynmodra

Jul 10, 2013
    She is beautiful! Im sorry the dog game didnt go in her favour :( I don't trust my dog at all with they chickens, her tail just wags a little too hard when she looks at them... How did you find the temperament? I'm finding the chicks a little skittish. My only comparison is production layers that were easily handled and not so nervous. A couple fight like crazy when picked up, and they won't eat from our hand. In fact they don't eat much at all, but I guess that is the difference between my fast growing production hens.

9. delbrouque

delbrouque New Egg

Aug 13, 2013
    Leiston
    Hi, can't really help with sexing them, i have 2 BT araucanas myself (11 weeks old) that i am hoping are girls... The have straight tail feathers and i beleive roos would have curled ones... Mine were exactly like yours when i got them...

10. K Spot

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    Mine did and have lovely personalities and temperaments.

The pullet I have now is very friendly, if a little annoying at times because she gets right under your feet. As they get older, they get less flighty, in my experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by