Araucana colours/genetics

chipens

Songster
6 Years
Sep 4, 2017
new zealand
New to araucanas (note: nz breed think they're different ?).
I have black and lavender hens and a lavender roo.
Are there any other colours in nz?

Is the colour genetics the same with orpingtons. Lavender is rececive gene? Lav x lav gives %100 lavender chicks?
If the black hens carry the rececive gene and crossed with lavender, then 50% black 50% Lavender chicks?
The green egg gene is that dominant over a brown/white laying hen? Or can it dilute the colour?

I'm going to use the roo over some Wyandotte/orpington/bantam/frizzles too for some interesting birds?
Thanks
20200121_155942.jpg

I don't know much about NZ araucanas but I can tell you color genetics are the same regardless of breed so your Lavender calculations are correct. As for egg color blue is dominant and will always show up in the next generation. Cross 2 half-araucanas and 75% will have blue and 25% won't - the Araucanas pea comb is strongly linked with the blue-egg gene so in second generation easter-eggers the pea comb is a strong indicator a chick has inherited the blue-egg gene. Also shells only come in white or blue, brown and green is what happens when brown pigmentation is layered over the top of that so you don't really 'dilute' blue, it's more you can change how much brown pigment is present depending on if you're crossing to brown or white egg layers and achieve different shades of green that way. That said I've noticed my smallest araucana eggs are a more vibrant blue than the larger ones

This is from a NZ site that breeds Araucana
"Colours – Lavender, Blue, Black, White, and Old English Game Colours (other colours from British standard – Black/Red, Pile, Silver and Gold Duckwing)"

Back
Top Bottom