Araucana Gender and coloring help please.

Flash534

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
Wichita Falls, Texas
I'm hoping that I have at least 1 pullet and 1 cockrell. But...... I'm fairly certain this one is a cockrell. Blue Breasted Red? Or is there such a thing ?

BBR.jpg

I was going to guess pullet on this one only because the gold isn't running down into the wings. But once again. Total newbie. Not really sure. And no idea the color designation. Or is it just a mutt?
sad.png

GDW.jpg

Is the picture clear enough? Thank you !!
smile.png

Oooo I see a resemblance, Flash534
wink.png

5598218053_04c0f9f24b_z.jpg

4996328244_9b84f81c36_z.jpg

Cockerel and pullet. The red one's color is a duckwing w/columbian, blue, mahogany, melanizer, and likely pattern gene, although my boy shown had Wheaten too, that's not always the case since he's half New Hampshire.
wink.png
Yours may have all of what my guy carries except Wheaten and Mahogany.

The black and brown colored pullet is half duckwing, half black.

Basically not actual recognized colors.

I see the resemblance too Illia !!! When I bought the eggs, it was an ebay purchase. Only said tufted and rumpless. I figured it would be non-standard. I just wanted Araucanas sooo bad. lol I have 6 new babies that just hatched out from eggs I bought from Smoothmule, and Ray_n_Debi , here at BYC. Even got a bi-lateral tufted chick !! Yay !! Not sure if they are standard colors yet or not.
hu.gif
I posted a few pics of them where I had some hatching buddies. I think they are such a pretty chicken breed. How young can someone tell if the coloring on chicks is standard? Or does it depend on the breed ?

Quote:
In Araucanas, if it hatched out with very bold looking chipmunk stripes - It is a standard color.

If it hatched out black with NO brown or red or yellow coloring, it is a standard color, however, at 4-5 months old it may possibly express some gold or red leakage, which is a DQ.

Congrats though!!!
smile.png

Last edited:
Ray_n_Debi, I'm afraid the postal service wasn't kind to my eggs. They arrived on time, but when I candled at day 10, out of the 48 eggs I had in the incubator, over half were clear. The yolks looked almost scrambled on the ones I culled. I had 23 at lock down that I either saw development in, or were too dark to see inside. The eggs that hatched were right on time and happy and healthy. Alas there were only 6 total chicks. The boxes looked fine as far as no dents. The temperature and humidity stayed very constant. I might have to try buying day old chicks next time. Our postal service seems a tad too rough on my hatching eggs..
sad.png
But the chickies I did get are pretty !!!!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom