Araucana thread anyone?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by megcpat, Jan 23, 2010.

1. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Project Tolbunt Araucana Bantam Pullet,
    [​IMG]

2. Quirky

Quirky Tufted, not Rumpless

Apr 17, 2011
    The Granite State
    Josh, congratulations on one of the funkiest, cutest little chickens....ever.

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:She is beautiful Josh!

I cannot wait to have some!

4. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Josh, do you mind me asking what the genetic background of this bird is?

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Nice! I hope you're going for Tolbunt, not Mille Fleur in disguise. [​IMG] Where are you getting the lacing from?

And why are all the cool Araucanas bantams? [​IMG]

6. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quote:I wonder if they would change their mind if WE ALL start emailing and calling them. Make it a point to get our voice heard of how its not right to sell something under a false name. If I had just a penny for how many times I have to tell people the difference between the three, I would be simi-rich. Maybe even make up a petition for people to sign. This has got to change though! Its not right. [​IMG]

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It's stealing our right and competition of business too. The only way people who especially breed Ameraucanas can sell is to those who know the difference (that's a few and far between when it comes to selling to locals) and those who know absolutely nothing about chickens. Araucanas are a tad easier, but even they, it's hard. People are fine with their own "Anacondas" and "Americanas."

Even going to the store and buying groceries, tripping across a rare chicken owner is sadly a little frustrating. Talking about Araucanas gets you into "oh yeah, I've got some Araucandas too. My girls lay green and pink eggs." I just don't bother anymore. Last time I tried mentioning Easter Eggers, the lady just didn't get it. She thought I was talking about an issue that had nothing to do with her birds.

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:How very cool! I have a tolbunt pair and some araucana hens.....what a delightful combination!!!! I love it!

9. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:It does seem a little bit easier with people knowing the difference between Araucanas and EEs, compared to Ameraucanas and EEs. But it is irritating that one of the biggest commercial hatcheries, McMurray, has a big picture of a tufted (but tailed) bird on their EE sale page. All in the same page they call what the sell EE, Americana, and Araucana while doing the whole spiel about them being from Chile. Oye, they need to pic description and stick with it.

10. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Nope breeding for Tolbunt/ Lacing Not the orange /millie Flure color.

Here's another some what new color, Mottled Araucana Bantams.

They are on 5-6 generations & going strong, Tuffed & Rumpless, Might Exhibit some this year in SEPT Shows.
    Will try to post more & better pics soon [​IMG]

They were used a few generations ago in the tolbunt project [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by