Araucana thread anyone?

Lanae,
Way to go! I hope I can make myself part with a few more adults but I may just hold on till spring and just eat more eggs this winter......everyone loves my quiche's and custard pies at work too. I'm feeling good about the handful of chicks I've kept but we'll see what they're like in the spring. I don't expect any huge change to show quality Araucana's but expect to see improvement with each year. I am hatching a couple here and there. Laying has slowed some but still getting enough to sell. Did you get any photo's at the show? I've been missing seeing your pictures.

Wonderful news Lanae. Have fun
thumbsup.gif

I have a question about pullet growth. I noticed two of my girls are still pint sized. I should get an actual weight on them, but they are reaaally tiny compared to their siblings. Do you think they are just slower growers? Will always be small? I always keep food in the feeder, so they should be getting enough. Abe is a hatchmate of theirs, and he weights the same as the older white rock cockerels I got for meat birds (he is heavier than he looks!), 4lbs last time I weighed him out of curiosity. I'd guess the girls are around 1lb. Itty bity.

I'd say depends on lineage. My only truly straight splash hen I once had (sold her) was TINY, everyone always asked me if she was a bantam, but nope, just a tiny LF bird. . . And it was genetic. However I've also had slow growers too.

I'd say look back on the lineage, see if there's small parents or grandparents. Also, look at her status in the flock. Is she top girl, always picked on, what?

Just gotta add - I'm so excited tonight! My second batch is beginning to hatch now, and the first chick out is an Araucana. I labelled "silver ?" on it because I wasn't sure if it was a duckwing or cuckoo egg. So far out of handfuls of Cuckoo eggs I've tried this summer I've had NO luck and no fertility, but guess what??
wee.gif

The first chick is a female Cuckoo, (not blue, not splash, but straight up cuckoo) and bilaterally tufted! These buggers are so big I can see 'em before the chick dried!!
love.gif

I'm now waiting on the rest to hatch. I know the others are duckwings, but this ONE cuckoo chick, I'm very happy for!

So today went well. I had so much fun. I also got to play the I have an araucana game, and the there aint no such breed and an araucana, and then theres the, I have had ameraucanas for years and mine don't look anything like yours. LOL!!

One lady described what she had and her friend said thats an ameraucana not an araucana, then she said I have had chickens for 40 years and I know there is no such thing as an ameraucana. The Ameraucanas ( which had a wonderful turnout) were just a few cages down from my araucana so I was able to show people easily the difference, then I had taken some 8X10 photos of my Easter Eggers to show people also. My breed table was a couple of rows away from the Ameraucanas and Araucanas so I was up and down all down running over to show people the difference.

I sold my previously pictured pair for $85.00 to a lady who is gonna pick them up tomorrow. Here's hoping she really takes them. I have a 9 year old boy who has his own farm ( long but true and neat story) he is going to buy 3 or 4 of my babies. And today was day 1 of 3. I will tell more later. I am tired and very allergic to pine bedding when it is enclosed in my car with me in the carriers. Going to bed.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom