Araucana thread anyone?

It's a great day for sharing pictures! I did lose on tufted barred pullet to the oposum. Life goes on.
This is Barry. The one that made it through all this years culling.

Some of the girls with their tushies in the air...

Barry with his great grandfather Scott

More of Barry

It's a great day for sharing pictures! I did lose on tufted barred pullet to the oposum. Life goes on.
This is Barry. The one that made it through all this years culling.

Some of the girls with their tushies in the air...

Barry with his great grandfather Scott

More of Barry

Aww, that sucks. Sorry you lost a girl to the possum.

And oh my gosh, both Barry AND Scott are stunning! I love how Scott has absolutely NO bleed through at all!

Took a picture of my young rooster today, Mr. Blue, with a girl of his. Unfortunately, his jealous harem has plucked his tufts so that they are only a shadow of what they were.

Last edited:
Too bad you don't know what the markings on the egg was, that would let me know better what pen she came out of.
Is that possibly Lavender?
My Lavenders do not breed true. I get a lot of cream/straw color in them.

This is one of the chicks from him

As I recall, the eggs were not marked at all; I'm pretty sure I would have at least made a list of the possibilities. Anyway, they went under broodies, so it would have been hard to figure out which exact egg she came from. I really don't think she's lavender though--her plumage is too white. I have a couple of lavender Orps that I raised from hatching eggs and they never looked anything like her. So if you don't have any dominant white birds, my guess is she's recessive white or splash. If I was keeping her, I could put her with the black/gold rooster (Raven) to see if they made any blue chicks and that would be the answer. And actually, they have both been sold to the same person who lives not far from me, so I might be able to eventually find out!

I've been working on figuring out color genetics in my spare time, and I broke down and bought the van Dort book with all the photos. I still down know why your lavender roo throws black chicks, but I'm pretty sure the reason he has the straw color is that he is based on wild type (e+). That would explain the chipmunk striping in the chicks too. Lav dilutes black to lavender and red to straw. If you start with pure-breeding black birds, you'll get a nice even lavender, but any red areas will turn to cream/straw.

Orioles relative

He's a pretty boy! I'm keeping Oriole and he will go with all the girls that are not blue or black (I'm quite space-limited). If I can rig up a pen and keep him with just Lark (gold duckwing; recessive girl) this summer I might be able to figure out better what he's carrying. Of my 4 boys from this hatch I think his body type is the best.

Either every hen I have and/or the roo has the e+ gene in them. That is why I get the wild type pattern. As chicks the parents looked lavender.
I have a clean face Ameraucana roo that I am going to try on the hens and see what I get but that is not going to be a project until spring.
I feel a lot of the lavenders out there have been crossed to buff or black that has the e+ gene.

And last, but not least, Oriole. Thanks for watching my show! Single-tufted, rumpless cockerel. Another mystery color, again I'm guessing he's ER based.

I Love your cockerel there, the silver/black. Is that spangling on his chest? If you have any pullets from him, breed them back to him and see if you can get more spangles. I have a cockerel with a lot of spangling, clean faced with a tail but I want to try him with a better hen and see if I can work on that pattern

Back
Top Bottom