Araucana thread anyone?

She looks like she is light blue cuckoo to me.

I'm still pretty sure she would be DQ'd in a show, if not for the feather color, for her leg color. White is the only variety that can have yellow legs (I think I remember her having yellow legs) and I don't think she could pass for white. I think wrong leg color is an automatic DQ, am I wrong?

I have not shown but I have been reading up so I don't mess up myself at a show when I finally have one I feel good enough to show. I just hate to encourage a child to show something and be embarrassed if they are DQ'd. The pullet is gorgeous and if I chose the blue that I liked best, it's that gorgeous powder blue. I had some just like her myself but I could never figure out the genetics of it and I knew if I was going to breed toward the SOP, I had to sell.

The main thing I want to stress is that there is nothing wrong with that pretty girl and I'm not putting her down at all, The photo doesn't show her whole body but she has a gorgeous face and tufting. Would I breed for more like her? Oh YES but would I encourage a child to show her as her first time to show? I can't do that. I'd rather help her find one to show that wouldn't run the risk of DQ. I'm still learning myself but if I'm wrong here, I want someone to tell me.

She is unfortunately my only Araucana hen. I will put her with the rumpless wheaten bbr male this spring. I do not know what color I will get. I am totally new to this and Lanae was the one who told me she was a Red Pyle.

I guess this is a question for Lanae - help! Would you mind speculating what colors I might get in breeding the Red Pyle with the wheaten bbr rooster?

THANKS!
I think you will get some wheaten looking birds, some wheaten split looking birds, some red pyle looking birds. I am guessing she is a wild type red pyle based on how dark her chest is, which is why I guess wheaten split looking. Wheaten is visually dominant over wild type depending on what other modifiers may or may not be present. Now the previous statements are in regarding to pullet and hen color. The roosters will look like bbrs and possibly red pylesque roosters.

Lanae

I'm still pretty sure she would be DQ'd in a show, if not for the feather color, for her leg color. White is the only variety that can have yellow legs (I think I remember her having yellow legs) and I don't think she could pass for white. I think wrong leg color is an automatic DQ, am I wrong?

I have not shown but I have been reading up so I don't mess up myself at a show when I finally have one I feel good enough to show. I just hate to encourage a child to show something and be embarrassed if they are DQ'd. The pullet is gorgeous and if I chose the blue that I liked best, it's that gorgeous powder blue. I had some just like her myself but I could never figure out the genetics of it and I knew if I was going to breed toward the SOP, I had to sell.

The main thing I want to stress is that there is nothing wrong with that pretty girl and I'm not putting her down at all, The photo doesn't show her whole body but she has a gorgeous face and tufting. Would I breed for more like her? Oh YES but would I encourage a child to show her as her first time to show? I can't do that. I'd rather help her find one to show that wouldn't run the risk of DQ. I'm still learning myself but if I'm wrong here, I want someone to tell me.
I do appreciate your honesty!

I'm pretty sure if your hen is dominant white (which is necessary for Red Pyle) then her offspring should look similar to her when bred to Wheaten. Though Wheaten females lack a salmon breast, like BBR hens have, so I'm not sure exactly what the chicks will look like.

But I'd still be interested in chicks to see what hatches, just for fun! At the very least I might end up with something beautiful like her. :)

I will probably separate those two the beginning of March when it warms up. I have a 12 x 12 covered, graveled pen off the main coop that I can isolate the two in. My understanding is that they must be isolated for 30 days to make sure there is no other sperm influencing the breeding? Send me a pm that you are interested in hatching eggs so I can contact you when I have some. I am totally a beginner so I will need some advice on the best way to ship the eggs.

Vickie

Her tufts would be bigger if the other birds would leave her alone.;)
[/quote]

I have the same problem with my other chickens - especially the two australorps that they were raised with

I think you will get some wheaten looking birds, some wheaten split looking birds, some red pyle looking birds.  I am guessing she is a wild type red pyle based on how dark her chest is, which is why I guess wheaten split looking.  Wheaten is visually dominant over wild type depending on what other modifiers may or may not be present.  Now the previous statements are in regarding to pullet and hen color.  The roosters will look like bbrs and possibly red pylesque roosters.

Lanae

Lanae, you are the BEST! I do like the color of this pullet and pictures of red pyles are awesome. I worry though that it is a color easily seen by raptors. That was why I want to ultimately pursue the wheatens.

Vickie

I will probably separate those two the beginning of March when it warms up. I have a 12 x 12 covered, graveled pen off the main coop that I can isolate the two in. My understanding is that they must be isolated for 30 days to make sure there is no other sperm influencing the breeding? Send me a pm that you are interested in hatching eggs so I can contact you when I have some. I am totally a beginner so I will need some advice on the best way to ship the eggs.

Vickie
I have found 14 days to be enough when changing roosters.I have tested this by hatching.At about 10 days the percent from the previous rooster starts to drop very fast.

I am wondering how much influence does the Rooster have on egg color if any at all? Say I have a hen that is laying blue-green eggs and I have a Roo that came from a hen that layed a bright blue egg. Will the pullets from this pair lay Blue-green eggs or will they be bluer eggs?

I am wondering how much influence does the Rooster have on egg color if any at all? Say I have a hen that is laying blue-green eggs and I have a Roo that came from a hen that layed a bright blue egg. Will the pullets from this pair lay Blue-green eggs or will they be bluer eggs?
OOOOH! Good question!
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom