Araucana thread anyone?

I have pictures, and am looking for a little advise.

Up until this point, I've really only given away my Araucanas, chicks and a few hens, to help other Michiganders establish their flocks. But I do want to sell this trio to try and get some extra cash for hatching eggs, so I can keep my flock genetically diverse. They are all roughly the same age, getting very close to point of lay.

Girl # 1. Tailed, and tufted but they are tiny.

Girl #2. I bet you've seen her pics before. Columbian/duckwing gal. Double tufted, rumpless.

And the boy. He is double tufted, rumpless, and blue with gold bleed.

I have pictures, and am looking for a little advise. Up until this point, I've really only given away my Araucanas, chicks and a few hens, to help other Michiganders establish their flocks. But I do want to sell this trio to try and get some extra cash for hatching eggs, so I can keep my flock genetically diverse. They are all roughly the same age, getting very close to point of lay. Girl # 1. Tailed, and tufted but they are tiny. Girl #2. I bet you've seen her pics before. Columbian/duckwing gal. Double tufted, rumpless. And the boy. He is double tufted, rumpless, and blue with gold bleed.
Ive just started with araucanas, but I dont think you should sell that roo with those hens because they are all double tufted. The tufting gene is lethal and will kill chicks in shell if they get 2 doses of the gene.

Ive just started with araucanas, but I dont think you should sell that roo with those hens because they are all double tufted. The tufting gene is lethal and will kill chicks in shell if they get 2 doses of the gene.

Yep, it sure does! I personally don't mind breeding tufted x tufted. Sure, 25% of chicks will die in shell, but that means of the surviving chicks, I should theoretically have more tufts. I guess I'd rather have 75% of chicks who who are 2/3rds tufted, than 100% of chicks with only half being tufted. Of course, genetics are all an approximation, heh.

Yep, it sure does! I personally don't mind breeding tufted x tufted. Sure, 25% of chicks will die in shell, but that means of the surviving chicks, I should theoretically have more tufts. I guess I'd rather have 75% of chicks who who are 2/3rds tufted, than 100% of chicks with only half being tufted. Of course, genetics are all an approximation, heh.
Stacykins, that does not mean more tufted chicks, just more losses. You have your genetics mixed up somewhat. What does it mean 75% who are 2/3rds tufted? I took a stats class in college and something that always stuck with me was that the statistics are calculated with each individual. It takes 100 or more to come out to the calculated percentage, in other words, breeding tufted to tufted you could still hatch out mostly clean faced chicks and clean faced to tufted you can get 100% tufted (I've had this happen in 8 hatched). The point is that people often think that if you hatch 4 chicks and the odds are that there will be 2 tufted and 2 clean faced, there are not enough hatched to give those percentages and you could hatch 4 chicks at a time and very often not get that 50-50 tufted and clean faced. It's also not correct to assume the ones that die in the shell are all because of the lethal gene, this breed is well known for hatching difficulty.

I agree with FarmerChef regarding breeding. There are some awesome clean faced Araucana's and if all they lack is tufts, that's not so hard to breed for. I do some of both, I don't purposefully choose who to breed to whom based on tufts alone. That's where you can get into the difficulties in trying to get perfect birds. There is a lot more to them than tufts. I prefer to breed clean faced to tufted but that isn't relevant if there are other qualities I'm working to improve but I'm fine with breeders who prefer to breed only tufted to tufted. I just wish they knew there were breeders out there, potentially new breeders, who would Gladly buy the clean faced chicks. All it takes is a whole flock of good clean faced hens with one good double tufted rooster to develop another whole line of tufted Araucana's. The gene pool is still not quite diverse enough to waste good chicks .....and this is my own opinion. A few years ago I was scrapping for anything that was Araucana, clean faced, tailed, it was so hard to get started because of breeders who culled the chicks that were not perfect. I truly believe that the breed would have sooner than later gone extinct if that way of breeding would have continued and there were a couple of breeders who lost entire flocks to predators overnight. You just can't replace those lines, when they're gone they're gone.

Stacykins, that does not mean more tufted chicks, just more losses. You have your genetics mixed up somewhat. What does it mean 75% who are 2/3rds tufted? I took a stats class in college and something that always stuck with me was that the statistics are calculated with each individual. It takes 100 or more to come out to the calculated percentage, in other words, breeding tufted to tufted you could still hatch out mostly clean faced chicks and clean faced to tufted you can get 100% tufted (I've had this happen in 8 hatched). The point is that people often think that if you hatch 4 chicks and the odds are that there will be 2 tufted and 2 clean faced, there are not enough hatched to give those percentages and you could hatch 4 chicks at a time and very often not get that 50-50 tufted and clean faced. It's also not correct to assume the ones that die in the shell are all because of the lethal gene, this breed is well known for hatching difficulty.

I agree with FarmerChef regarding breeding. There are some awesome clean faced Araucana's and if all they lack is tufts, that's not so hard to breed for. I do some of both, I don't purposefully choose who to breed to whom based on tufts alone. That's where you can get into the difficulties in trying to get perfect birds. There is a lot more to them than tufts. I prefer to breed clean faced to tufted but that isn't relevant if there are other qualities I'm working to improve but I'm fine with breeders who prefer to breed only tufted to tufted. I just wish they knew there were breeders out there, potentially new breeders, who would Gladly buy the clean faced chicks. All it takes is a whole flock of good clean faced hens with one good double tufted rooster to develop another whole line of tufted Araucana's. The gene pool is still not quite diverse enough to waste good chicks .....and this is my own opinion. A few years ago I was scrapping for anything that was Araucana, clean faced, tailed, it was so hard to get started because of breeders who culled the chicks that were not perfect. I truly believe that the breed would have sooner than later gone extinct if that way of breeding would have continued and there were a couple of breeders who lost entire flocks to predators overnight. You just can't replace those lines, when they're gone they're gone.

Tufted x tufted results in 25% cleanfaced, 50% tufted, and 25% dead in shell, we all know that. So 75% of the chicks survive, 25% die. Of those survivors (the 75%), 1/3 are cleanfaced and 2/3rds are tufted. It has been a while since I've taken statistic in college. I guess it makes sense in my brain, that doesn't always mean I can get it out in a sensible way!

Breeding is always a gamble. We can only theoretically predict how the genes are going to express themselves, but in practice it doesn't always work out. This year, I had a massively rooster heavy year. For every girl I got, I got two or three boys. Sex is supposed to be 50/50 in chickens, and not heat determined like in some reptiles. Stuff happens like that, hah.

I don't breed based on tufts alone, either. Egg color, leg color, bird color, etc. is important to me. Both of my roosters are tufted. But not all of my hens are. It is easier, I think, to have a rooster who definitely is tufted and rumpless so your hens can be tailed or cleanfaced. That way, there is at least a very good chance that chicks get the desired traits, you know?

If you are interested in seeing pictures of my flock, I just created a new album today (pictures taken today, too!), you can find it through my profile. Several of the keeper pullets from this year are cleanfaced.

Hatched 4 nice chicks from shipped eggs and hoping to hatch my first from my "other color" pen next. They are all pullets in that pen so I didn't expect fertility to be very good yet, it wasn't.... 1 fertile egg in 6 but they're just getting started. I have about 3 dozen set, some set on the 6th and some the 11th so I can hardly wait to candle and get excited :p In the meantime, I'm so happy to have my 2 pens set, the black pen has all of my black hens and pullets, plus 2 very large chocolate Orpington/Ameraucana cross pullets that I've seen setting in the nest box but I won't know if they're laying till they hatch. The eggs have all been blue or greenish blue so it's possible with them. I haven't been too worried since their chicks will be white legged, not yellow like my Araucana's. All of the cockerels from those hens will carry chocolate so I can sort through them this fall and choose the best couple for the chocolate pen. All the pullets from those girls will just be sold as misc egg layers. Both of the cockerels in the black hen pen are young, They are breeding but fertility will come. One boy is black with no leakage, the other is silver birchen. Both are double tufted and rumpless. The birchen has smaller tufts but his brothers from the same rooster are the same and produce large double tufts and he will produce black with the black hens. The other color pen is a rainbow, BBR, a black with gold leakage, blue, brown/red and others. All of these girls are pullets and just starting to lay. They will have a different rooster every month for a while and I can't wait to see what colors the chicks will be. Some color crosses will match and others way off but I think it will give me more clues about what I have in there. Right now, my rooster Joker is with the girls. He's mature and produces really nice chicks but he's clean faced and a couple stray tail feathers. Most of the pullets in there are double tufted and rumpless with only one pullet having a tail. There will be some culling but there will be more roosters to come and lots of nice chicks. The birchen will get to visit that is in with the black hens too. It's going to be Great! I can't wait to see some chicks hatch from both pens. I expect to add a birchen and a brown/red pen next year. Here are some photo's I took today while we had nice weather......it's getting ready to go freezing again this weekend. This cockerel will be breeding come spring. He's for sale, $40 if anyone is interested. He's got nice big tufts, they look like pin wheels! He's fully rumpless and has a gorgeous, correct pea comb. His faults are obvious, crazy feather coloring and yellow legs. The only Araucana variety with yellow legs are the whites. I think he would actually be very good in a white pen. Recessive white covers everything and his leg coloring is perfect. I do ship and would consider a trade for a clean faced hen of any color. Here is my birchen cockerel, not for sale, that is in with the black hens/pullets, I've named him Hank I think he is more handsome everyday Here is a shot of the black hen pen, trying to get them all together for a picture, I turned over a pan that had loads of worms under it....well all I got for photo's were rear ends and blurs This one is Kingsley, the black cockerel in the black pen along with the birchen, Hank, Kingsley is double tufted and rumpless. One of my chocolate pullets, an F1
Beautiful birds! Love your blacks!

I'm considering hatching out some black breasted red Araucanas this spring. Can someone explain the lethal gene to me and how it affects hatch rate? I am trying to figure out how many eggs I should get, and I have heard that fertility and hatching live chicks can be difficult. I'm sure this topic has been beat to death, but I don't have time the read the entire thread and need to make a decision soon. Any and all information is welcome!!

I'm considering hatching out some black breasted red Araucanas this spring. Can someone explain the lethal gene to me and how it affects hatch rate? I am trying to figure out how many eggs I should get, and I have heard that fertility and hatching live chicks can be difficult. I'm sure this topic has been beat to death, but I don't have time the read the entire thread and need to make a decision soon. Any and all information is welcome!!
If you are planning on getting these from the U of A, he dispersed his flock last week in order to add two different breeds. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom