Araucana thread anyone?

I have the 3 I commissioned hanging in my office and thought for sure the BBreds would be my favorite, but really its the silver duckwing painting that has stolen my heart. I just love the chicks, the background, really everything about it.

Lanae

Anybody here going to the show in lebanon, IN this weekend? I would love to add a few more araucanas. Right now I just have one lone blue pullet.

We were there and I just now saw your thread! My son showed his one very dark BBR hen in the junior class (not the best quality but has done well in other shows)-only araucana that we saw there. We have two chicks in the brooder and more eggs in the incubator. We will probably have some for sale this spring if not before. Where in Indiana are you (we are on Ohio/Indiana line in about the center of the state)?

Any guesses on coloring on this chick? We are not sure on sire genetics. We are thinking chick is probably a brown red. The sire also produced some BBR chicks (was mated with a BBR hen). Either way he (or she) is adorable and has cute little tufts.

Last edited:
We were there and I just now saw your thread! My son showed his one very dark BBR hen in the junior class (not the best quality but has done well in other shows)-only araucana that we saw there. We have two chicks in the brooder and more eggs in the incubator. We will probably have some for sale this spring if not before. Where in Indiana are you (we are on Ohio/Indiana line in about the center of the state)?
I saw his araucana! Did one of her tufts get plucked out? She was pretty hopefully the one tuft grow back some. I am located in bluffton, indiana. What colors do you have?

Quote:
The one tuft side seems to grow longer/bigger, then tends to fall out. We have been able to show her without getting DQ'ed since there is a visible tuft there. My son took top large fowl female at his 4-H fair with her and beat out 56 birds at another open show to get best AOSB with her.

We are about 1/2 hour south of Portland. Right now we have some BBR's and a brown red and a black with red bleed thru on her chest. We have a lot of breeding planned for next spring, so hopefully can increase our own numbers. We ordered some white araucana eggs from sega here on BYC and are hoping to get just a few of them to hatch. If you hatch your own, we will probably have some eggs for sale next spring (our laying is slow right now) or we may have some chicks then. I have two breeding pairs together right now but have only gotten 2 eggs since Thursday. We bought two wheaten based BBR chicks from skyblueeggs and hope to hatch some chicks from them by late spring next year/early next summer.

The one tuft side seems to grow longer/bigger, then tends to fall out. We have been able to show her without getting DQ'ed since there is a visible tuft there. My son took top large fowl female at his 4-H fair with her and beat out 56 birds at another open show to get best AOSB with her.

We are about 1/2 hour south of Portland. Right now we have some BBR's and a brown red and a black with red bleed thru on her chest. We have a lot of breeding planned for next spring, so hopefully can increase our own numbers. We ordered some white araucana eggs from sega here on BYC and are hoping to get just a few of them to hatch. If you hatch your own, we will probably have some eggs for sale next spring (our laying is slow right now) or we may have some chicks then. I have two breeding pairs together right now but have only gotten 2 eggs since Thursday. We bought two wheaten based BBR chicks from skyblueeggs and hope to hatch some chicks from them by late spring next year/early next summer.

i wasnt questioning wether ir not she was shiw quality just realized her tuft. I do hatch my own eggs

I didn't think you were, my son was next to me when I commented back on her tuft and he wanted to brag about her previous winnings
big_smile.png
When he got his first trio, I was not a huge fan of the "odd" chickens, but they quickly became my favorite and will probably be the only LF we have (we are slowly eliminating our other LF). Right now we have a couple of plymouth rocks and silver phoenix also-but I am addicted to the araucanas. Our bantam are exclusively wyandotte right now unless I can find some araucana. My sister told me I had a serious chicken problem today!

Let me know if you ever want eggs. They were laying great a few weeks ago but I am afraid I won't be able to get over 3-5 eggs in a weeks time in this weather.

Last edited:
I didn't think you were, my son was next to me when I commented back on her tuft and he wanted to brag about her previous winnings:D When he got his first trio, I was not a huge fan of the "odd" chickens, but they quickly became my favorite and will probably be the only LF we have (we are slowly eliminating our other LF). Right now we have a couple of plymouth rocks and silver phoenix also-but I am addicted to the araucanas. Our bantam are exclusively wyandotte right now unless I can find some araucana. My sister told me I had a serious chicken problem today!

well who wouldnt want to show off lol. You can never have a chicken " problem ". how many chickens do you have. I have so many odds and ends it isnt even funny.

Back
Top Bottom