Araucana thread anyone?

Hi animal madd - -   made an enquiry of the person who breeds / hatches Araucana's and he is not at all into shipping eggs interstate.
Waaay too risky in his opinion, for purchaser AND seller.   Sorry about that - besides which he has nothing on offer at present anyway.   

I have heard that you have to be careful ordering eggs etc. from Gumtree.   Like anything I guess, one has to be careful about who they are dealing with, especially on the Internet.

I do hope you can find someone with Araucana's soon.   Might have to wait until next year, after the chooks have done their thing with moulting (  some are doing that down here in Victoria - guess it might be the insane weather we have had ) or whatever else they dream up .... or when, anywhere in Australia, they get back to laying properly.   It's my experience that chooks do exactly what they want, when they want - but I must admit that the only chicken I have had who was 'text book' is my little Araucana cheeky brat - who stopped laying in May, moulted hard, grew her feathers back, and began to lay again in Spring.   But that's my Mindy.   Have another friend who has 6 Araucanas' ( no rooster ) .... and they have just gone into a hard moult - in late Spring ?????  :th  Chickens tend to have this effect - LOL.  

My Welsummer hen has managed to finish the slowest of moults - and is regrowing her feathers ( after 6 months ? ) .... she laid right through the winter, continually soft moulting, and finally gave up laying eggs when her feathers began to come back in.   She is currently making a lot of noise and happily squatting when anyone or anything goes near her, but no eggs - as yet.   I expect her to lay soon ( maybe  !! ).

Good luck in your search for this lovely breed. 

Cheers ........... AB

Thx

Hi animal madd - -   made an enquiry of the person who breeds / hatches Araucana's and he is not at all into shipping eggs interstate.
Waaay too risky in his opinion, for purchaser AND seller.   Sorry about that - besides which he has nothing on offer at present anyway.   

I have heard that you have to be careful ordering eggs etc. from Gumtree.   Like anything I guess, one has to be careful about who they are dealing with, especially on the Internet.

I do hope you can find someone with Araucana's soon.   Might have to wait until next year, after the chooks have done their thing with moulting (  some are doing that down here in Victoria - guess it might be the insane weather we have had ) or whatever else they dream up .... or when, anywhere in Australia, they get back to laying properly.   It's my experience that chooks do exactly what they want, when they want - but I must admit that the only chicken I have had who was 'text book' is my little Araucana cheeky brat - who stopped laying in May, moulted hard, grew her feathers back, and began to lay again in Spring.   But that's my Mindy.   Have another friend who has 6 Araucanas' ( no rooster ) .... and they have just gone into a hard moult - in late Spring ?????  :th  Chickens tend to have this effect - LOL.  

My Welsummer hen has managed to finish the slowest of moults - and is regrowing her feathers ( after 6 months ? ) .... she laid right through the winter, continually soft moulting, and finally gave up laying eggs when her feathers began to come back in.   She is currently making a lot of noise and happily squatting when anyone or anything goes near her, but no eggs - as yet.   I expect her to lay soon ( maybe  !! ).

Good luck in your search for this lovely breed. 

Cheers ........... AB[/quote

Thx Ab for trying to help me I will asked my local produce who also sell chooks of diffrent breeds and save and rehome unwanted roosters and hens and incubate aray of diffrent pounty eggs to see if they could either get me in a few eggs and incubate them or get me some chicks hopefully they will know somewhere to get them thx again for help hope your welsummer lays again for you soon and I dont trust getting any thing over internet recived a orchid plant and showed picture saying this is what your voting for get orchid it defently not one from picture its weak and horrid so defently not going to order eggs over net or plants ever again lol
Thx AM

Aloha,

Here's my 3 new araucanas. The duckwing looking ones both seem to have tails. :( One of them has tufts.

The black one seems to be rumples but with one large tuft on his left side only.

Are single tufts inherited? Or can the offspring still get double tufts.

Mahalo, Puhi

Aloha,

Here's my 3 new araucanas. The duckwing looking ones both seem to have tails. :( One of them has tufts.

The black one seems to be rumples but with one large tuft on his left side only.

Are single tufts inherited? Or can the offspring still get double tufts.

Mahalo, Puhi
Yes, a single tufted parent can produce double tufted offspring. You are on your way!

I have an Auracana that I suspect might be more of an Americana, as she has a tail, but also a substantial beard. She is solid white with gray legs, lays a light teal colored eggs, one of which I am incubating right now. She has mated with a Silver Lace Wing Wyandotte rooster and I'm hoping, pullet or roo, that it will carry a tinted egg gene for my flock. Are the chances of this green color being inherited 50/50?

I have an Auracana that I suspect might be more of an Americana, as she has a tail, but also a substantial beard. She is solid white with gray legs, lays a light teal colored eggs, one of which I am incubating right now. She has mated with a Silver Lace Wing Wyandotte rooster and I'm hoping, pullet or roo, that it will carry a tinted egg gene for my flock. Are the chances of this green color being inherited 50/50?
More than likely she is an Easter Egger (mixed breed that lays colored eggs). Her offspring to the Wyandotte will produce green egg layers, not a dark green but green.

Back
Top Bottom