Araucana thread anyone?

I have a question about chicks coming from a tailed hen, can you tell at hatch if the chick will have a tail or tail feathers later on in your experience? I've had four of seven hatch from the tailed hen and one looks like it has a very distinct tail but the others look fine, will they later on risk getting stray tail feathers? Or are only the ones with an obvious tail considered tailed? Thanks in advance!

Run your finger down from the spine over the rump... rumpless ones will have a slight indent right at the tailbone... and yes, some that seem fully tailless *can potentially* have a stray feather or 2 crop up once they feather in fully... best to grow them out as long as possible before evaluating them... :)

5 new babies out of 6 eggs! my daddy araucana is a keeper.

the last one fell into a marans shell. I had to assist it and it is drying in the mummy's fluff. I hope it will be fine. marans are hatching as well. 2 chicks, 3 still hatching, 1 I heard knocking and I left alone all of them at the moment. I hope there is a chick in the last one too.

5 new babies out of 6 eggs! my daddy araucana is a keeper.

the last one fell into a marans shell. I had to assist it and it is drying in the mummy's fluff. I hope it will be fine. marans are hatching as well. 2 chicks, 3 still hatching, 1 I heard knocking and I left alone all of them at the moment. I hope there is a chick in the last one too.

Congrats!!!

these look like 2 boys:

the stripe on the head of the araucana chick is light colour, only 2 colours, no black. the bcm chick has a big comb for a newborn.

I sooo wanna start an Araucana breeding program. Found sky blue Araucana online but just haven't quite took the plunge...Big investment but great started birds. Also found another person called Araucanaaddict on Facebook who is in Pennsylvania. Sells chicks for 10 and started pullets for 100. But, doesn't have any both tufted and rumpless chicks at this time only started ladies. I'm moving soon and once I get my new set up I am going to start seriously seeking some lines out. Does anyone know of some other reputable breeders?

I sooo wanna start an Araucana breeding program. Found sky blue Araucana online but just haven't quite took the plunge...Big investment but great started birds. Also found another person called Araucanaaddict on Facebook who is in Pennsylvania. Sells chicks for 10 and started pullets for 100. But, doesn't have any both tufted and rumpless chicks at this time only started ladies. I'm moving soon and once I get my new set up I am going to start seriously seeking some lines out. Does anyone know of some other reputable breeders?
http://www.araucana.net/breeders/

Back
Top Bottom