Araucana thread anyone?

Got 24 eggs from Ray-n-Debi last week.I have good fertility when I checked today.
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Anyone who is interested in testing eggs will need to wait a little longer. I just candled my first batch of eggs in the incubator and looks like development is pretty abysmal. So I'll be giving everyone a bum fluff trim and seeing if things improve. By abysmal, I mean that out of 27 eggs set in there, only 10 had development. Can't be sending out eggs like that!

I am setting, on average, 6 eggs every three or four days. Of that, I have been hatching 3-4 chicks twice a week. last summer I was really focused on getting a few good pullets. This spring I am keeping all the boys. I will grow out as many as I can and then keep only one or two of the best of the best!
Any one have any idea on how to keep the chicks from waisting so much food?! I use the mason jar screw on feeders and the little buggers will empty the jar into their cage in half a day. I use crumbled leaves from the fall as the litter. I clean out their cage once a week and dump it into the hens pen for them to pick through. I just hate waisting so much chick starter.

I am setting, on average, 6 eggs every three or four days. Of that, I have been hatching 3-4 chicks twice a week. last summer I was really focused on getting a few good pullets. This spring I am keeping all the boys. I will grow out as many as I can and then keep only one or two of the best of the best!
Any one have any idea on how to keep the chicks from waisting so much food?! I use the mason jar screw on feeders and the little buggers will empty the jar into their cage in half a day. I use crumbled leaves from the fall as the litter. I clean out their cage once a week and dump it into the hens pen for them to pick through. I just hate waisting so much chick starter.
you could try putting the feeder in a dog food bowl or cut down butter tub. I use. The rubber tubs for the older chicks,

Last edited:
I am still baffeled, the cream one has no shine on feathers and they are more rounded but still alongiated, has the broader comb area, the red one has narrow alongiated feathers but has a narrow comb area. the dark one has both long feathers and broad comb area. I am getting ready to ship these to some one but I need to find out the sex, I am putting them with a different batch of chicks now and watch the behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom