Araucana thread anyone?

Alex,
Thank you in advance for your service to our country :)  
Our oldest son just returned from a deployment to the Persian Gulf area (among other places) on the USS Eisenhower.   He's Navy.   He goes back out in a couple of months but he will be spending quality time with his wife and 3 kids for now. 

What color are your bantams?  
thank you for thanking me :p I have a golden duck wing hen a white hen and one I'm not sure of then I just got hatched a new too last year I'll post another pic of him

Last edited:
We only hatched out 4 Araucanas this year, but they are the most active & calmest birds !!
We think 2 are pullets & 2 are cockerels, but time will tell.
Hope to add to our Araucana group eventually.
Here's a picture of each.

Check out this way that somebody on another thread posted how they package eggs for shipment in Australia, it is down towards the bottom of the page,

https://sites.google.com/site/nickyschicks/home/photos

With the postal service here being so ruff on the eggs this is doable, probable not in the 6" pipe though because of the weight. Maybe if you use 2-3" pipe on end, and package the eggs in pipe insulation with a packing penute in between em and on each end. 2 eggs high x 6 pipes would give ya a dozen. Dont know if would do didly with saving the air pockets that usps always seems to scramble.
hu.gif

We only hatched out 4 Araucanas this year, but they are the most active & calmest birds !!
We think 2 are pullets & 2 are cockerels, but time will tell.
Hope to add to our Araucana group eventually.
Here's a picture of each.

Nice. Love the tufts on that first pullet. She is going to be a looker.
droolin.gif

Quote:
The black & white one has green on the wings, we know it's a cockerel he's already a little aggresive, we hope that we can break him of that, we're not big on adult roosters attacking us.

Now that my chick has dried and fluffed out, it is rumpless, has 1 big tuft and 1 small tuft, and it shows the parents color, LOL. It is black with red on the head and body but not quite BBR. The father was black with leaky saddle/hackle and the hen is BBR. As bad as this may sound, I am hoping it is a rooster! Normally I hope for hens but not this time, I already have the ladies lined up for him

Do Auracana occasionally get a super short back? I mean look like not only did they lose the tail bones but the next vertebrae too. I have an Olive Egger pullet who is rumpless and is so short that she can't seem to poop clear of her abdomen. I have to wash her off about every other day. Here is a comparison:

I mean Kiwi's wing tips touch behind her butt! In fact I sometimes have to wash poop off her wingtips! I know she isn't full grown (not yet laying) but that seems extremely short.

Back
Top Bottom