Araucana thread anyone?

Thanks. The facebook page is just getting started. My son and I are creating it. I started the "For sale" section and started adding some pics-hopefully I will get more added tonight. My son is more well versed on the history of the breed-he researched it for school.

Farm stores are probably selling what are called olive eggers or easter eggers. I was told that their version of the araucana lay green eggs. To be shown, araucanas have to be rumpless and have ear tufts and most varieties have willow legs (blue over yellow) while ameracauna have muffs (beards) and slate legs (blue over white). Not sure what the farm store birds look like. The ones I looked at at a rural king looked like little chipmunks and had tails-I didn't pay attention to the legs.

I see this is an old thread 2010, but here I am. We just lost our only Araucana to Mareks disease and I want another one. Question: I've heard they are more adapt to fly over fences than standard breeds. Does anyone know this for sure? We have a 6 ft fence and I'm wondering if I should get this breed.

She was our most beautiful bird.

I use covered runs. On my little ones, I use cardboard boxes for brooding then move them up to wire cages. I have several that love to perch high on the boxes-but they always return to where they are supposed to be. I don't think they are more apt to fly-but I think in they can be described as flightier by some in that they are a little more excitable.

Hi. I've finally managed to hatch 4 araucana chicks. They are too cute! Does anyone have a guess as to what color they will end up?

I know the standard colors for Araucanas. I'm not familiar with how those colors look as chick fluff first though. Thanks for your help!

Here's another picture of the darkest chick. Now that its dry, it looks dark brown and red chipmunk colored.

This little guy had a sideways air cell and I didn't know if it would be able to hatch. I think she (hopefully) is my favorite!

Back
Top Bottom