Araucana thread anyone?

Two copies of the tufted gene is lethal. Araucanas do not breed true. For this reason it is common to see non tufted birds. They are not any less araucana but do not qualify for show.

Additionally if you're interested in breeding to SOP then attention to colors is important as well.

No I'm not breeding for color( since I don't have roosters and hen in all/any colors) But I guess other people might care when buying? I sell chicks as Araucana's I just want to be sure I'm not selling something that they are not.. We are having a Bad hatch rate( due to not being fertile) but we do hatch out and I love all the different colors I get out of them... And I have gotten about even double tufted to none tufted out of my birds is this normal? And one more question my hens have been having a hard time with constant fertile eggs( could I have a roo problem or a hen problem?) I now have a second roo in the mix and I keep butts(around vents) trimmed regularly... Just wondering what I can to to fix this problem since my hen just started laying again for the year. Thanks for all the help
1f600.png

Last edited:
The breed is notorious for poor fertility (due to rumplessness) and poor hatch rates (due to the tufted genes). Any offspring getting a tufted gene from both parents will die in the shell at day 18.

You are not selling them as anything that they are not but with the current colors you have you are not helping to breed towards SOP. Given what you have you could easily breed whites as they are typically dominant white. Just hold back a white cockerel to breed back to your white hen.

If you were close to me I would certainly take some off your hands - I am always looking to expand my flock!

I have yet to get a white chick off these guys.. My roo is a gold duckwing? I'm not sure if it matters I would keep a black or white if I got mine a throwing that rooster colors in hens as well... I wish I could find a rooster in either white or black to pair off some of my hens with them thanks for all the info...

I sell them as a mixed color Araucana not show quality... Still have not had any problems selling thanks everyone

not all people want show quality and you are doing well saying mixed colour not show quality.

I would always breed tufted/non tufted pairs in order to avoid dead chicks.

Back
Top Bottom