Araucana thread anyone?

I have a question what helps with hatch rate on your chicks.. I know the double tufted gene is deadly in egg but is there any thing I can do to better hatch my eggs?
I live in NZ and we have the british tailed araucanas here, however i feed all my breeders on grower pellets, as opposed to layer feed. When on layer feed i was lucky to get a 50% hatch rate, with lots that quit a few days in, and then a heap that made it to lockdown, but died before internally pipping. That was even with having my pens moveable so they got fresh green grass every day, treated for nasties ect.
I switched them to grower feeds, and my hatch rate went through the roof. My last hatch i only had 1/24 that didn't hatch, and it made it all the way to lockdown before quitting. Babies are growing well and full of life. Well, those that survived my upon hatch cull (had a few vaulted skulls pop up. I know the rooster that threw them,he is now history)

I have a question what helps with hatch rate on your chicks.. I know the double tufted gene is deadly in egg but is there any thing I can do to better hatch my eggs?

First, to ensure maximum fertility in my birds, I give them all bum fluff trims. It helps with copulation, as being rumpless makes it a little more difficult for successful fertilization.

Tufts in general are a cause of chick/egg mortality, doesn't matter if there is one, two, three, or hidden (internal peduncle, or the tufts have been damaged by other birds picking at them). If you want to reduce losses due to tufting, only breed tufted x cleanfaced. So either have a tufted rooster and cleanfaced hens, or a cleanfaced rooster and tufted hens. That results in approximately 50% tufted birds and 50% cleanfaced, but with no chicks inheriting two copies of the tufted allele, which is what causes the chicks to perish.

Cleanfaced x Tufted
50% Et/et (heterozygous for tufted)
50% et/et (cleanfaced, no tufting).

Tufted x Tufted
25% Et/Et (two copies of tufting, lethal) There are some that survive, but this is exceedingly rare and unique!
50% Et/et
25% et/et

ive seen this arguement multiple times and i get that tufted x tufted is lethal but can you explain why? does the tufts restrict food or something?

ive seen this arguement multiple times and i get that tufted x tufted is lethal but can you explain why? does the tufts restrict food or something?

There are a number of genetic traits in chickens that are considered lethal. The creeper trait is another example.

In the case of both creeper and tufts, when an animal inherits two copies of the dominant trait, it results in deformities that are incompatible with life in nearly all cases. I cannot say all cases, because of that study I linked where an Et/Et bird was found. The chicks die in the shell before hatching, or shortly thereafter.

Here is an excerpt from Genetics and Evolution of Domestic Fowl by Lewis Stevens.

Hello

Quick intro... Last Summer, my wife and I bought a home that had a chicken coop out back (3 acres). This winter, we were gifted 3 chickens. We have 2 Rhode Island Red hens and 1 rooster that we're told is an Araucana.

When our friends told us what breeds they were gifting us, I researched this breed, and became very interested in raising them. Our roo, Eric, is very pretty. I'm not sure he is actually an Araucana as he has tail feathers and no tufts, but he is pretty nonetheless. :)

Does anyone know where I can get some 'real' Araucana eggs/chicks/whatever?

I asked on my local CL, but have not gotten any response. I asked at one of our feed stores if they new anyone breeding them, but they didn't even know what the breed was. :(

My wife and I love having the chickens more than we expected. They really are characters.

FYI, I did go back and look through the last several pages to see if anyone posted this recently. I also checked the Araucana club's site. Thanks in advance for any help in locating some breeding stock to get started with.

Where to get araucana depends on where you live and if there are breeders locally. I recommend joining the Araucana Club of America and start connecting with people that live somewhat close to you. You can only get Araucana from breeders.

Some breeders do ship birds.

Lanae Cash
ACA President

Does anyone know of any breeders of British Tailed Araucanas here in the States?
The U.K. standard birds are not available in the U.S.
The U.S. equivalent are called Ameraucana. If it's the muffs and crest combo you want, check out MyPetChicken.com's Ameri-Flowers. They are a cross between true Ameraucana and Swedish Flower Hens. They only offer hatching eggs for them, and they have very limited availability.

are clear faced araucanas poor layers? I have 3 pullets. 1 with tufts is a fairly good layer while the other 2, clear faced hardly lay 1 egg per week. they all have started to lay recently.

The U.K. standard birds are not available in the U.S.
The U.S. equivalent are called Ameraucana. If it's the muffs and crest combo you want, check out MyPetChicken.com's Ameri-Flowers. They are a cross between true Ameraucana and Swedish Flower Hens. They only offer hatching eggs for them, and they have very limited availability.
Actually they are different then Ameraucanas. They have a slight crest and different size/confirmation. They are technically Araucanas but they are not recognized by the Araucana club. You see them mostly in bantam varieties but I'm looking for large fowl. Thank you for the info! :)

Back
Top Bottom