Araucana thread anyone?

My group is about 6-6.5 months now. Kept 5 girls and 4 males. No eggs yet though. My tufted males have 3 pullets and my notified males have 2 together. Plan originally was to just monitor and remove a male if necessary and hold him seperate for back up until I could hatch out more females. Stuff might be changing though, so I may keep all the males together and all the females together and just do some visits instead.

are they sort of EE or what?
No, he calls his black AR "hybrids" because they are not his original breeding stock from when he started. He acquired his blacks from someone else and for some reason refers them as "Hybrid show strain". They are not EE in that sense, but because they are not from his original landrace breeding stock. He has his own ideology when it comes to Araucanas. Many AR folks do not agree or conform to his ideology of the Araucana breed. From experience, his birds have nice friendly demeanors. Roosters very friendly. In general, they just don't meet SOP for the Araucana in the US.

Attachments

• 3C3ED237-7A73-4B5E-A2E3-CEFE100CF249.jpeg
    3C3ED237-7A73-4B5E-A2E3-CEFE100CF249.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 9
These are my chicks (nearly six months) from an Araucana rooster and my mix of hens. I am trying to figure out what color the two singles are (Youngest and Odd Color). In the group shot, there are two out of olive eggs, a couple out of blue eggs, and some from brown eggs. The Cuckoo Maran was their surrogate mother. Any ideas on the color of the two.You can see the youngest one has a weird little "hat" on.

Attachments

• RumplessYoungest.jpg
    RumplessYoungest.jpg
    650.6 KB · Views: 9
  • RumplessYoungest2.jpg
    RumplessYoungest2.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Odd Color.jpg
    Odd Color.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 5
  • OddColor2.jpg
    OddColor2.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 5
  • AllPullets.jpg
    AllPullets.jpg
    688.8 KB · Views: 4
These are my chicks (nearly six months) from an Araucana rooster and my mix of hens. I am trying to figure out what color the two singles are (Youngest and Odd Color). In the group shot, there are two out of olive eggs, a couple out of blue eggs, and some from brown eggs. The Cuckoo Maran was their surrogate mother. Any ideas on the color of the two.You can see the youngest one has a weird little "hat" on.
The top hat aka crest are usually from Creamlegbar genes. Many OE or EE crosses are done with CLB parent with another breed. Ex: CLB x Welsummer. Love the rumpless bunch.

The top hat aka crest are usually from Creamlegbar genes. Many OE or EE crosses are done with CLB parent with another breed. Ex: CLB x Welsummer. Love the rumpless bunch.
Interesting. Some of the mamas are Easter Eggers, so I am guessing this was from one of those. I had three blue egg layers (one got taken by coyotes because she could not be bothered to stay in the giant coop yard). The puffy cheek ones are most likely from one of those. The one with the crest is likely from the other. The percentage of rumpless hatchlings was crazy. I think I had at least 75% rumpless out of 30+ chicks. I also had a really strong hatching of olive eggs followed by blue than brown then white (only 2). I did not have ANY fertile maran eggs from my two girls. Ironically, this was my whole goal to breed the Araucana to the marans to get olive eggers. One was broody and the other just didn't lay anything that hatched.

Back
Top Bottom