Araucana thread anyone?

Maybe they were yelling "Look out below" ?

Hi Lanae,

I was so excited to go home at lunch and see what hatched. While I was there I heard a TON of commotion. I went out and all of the birds I purchased from you were starring at the youngest pullet and screaming at the top of their little heads. I stood there for a while and then figured that nothing was wrong. I turned my back to walk away and I heard a THUD. The pullet laid an egg and it was sooooo blue and a good size too!!! I rushed in to get it as it was rolling downhill fast as she decided to lay it on the ROOF of the nesting box while standing up. WTH

Is it normal for them all to celebrate when when a new pullet starts to lay? It was so weird because normally just the one who lays starts announcing it not the whole group ahead of time.

Thats pretty funny. I have never thought about it much, but have noticed that the roo and other hens will cackle when one of the hens lays and egg. I do often hear the cackling and go to check for eggs, only to find nothing there, then I go out later and there is an egg, so maybe they are pre warning me.

Chickens are so funny.

Lanae

Ha! Mine too. Although every so often its a false alarm.
Of course, by the time I get there, the layer is back out eating, so I haven't figured out who is laying the really true blue eggs. I've narrowed it down to three suspects. None of the suspects have tufts, and only one is rumpless. Oh well.

Ha! Mine too. Although every so often its a false alarm.
Of course, by the time I get there, the layer is back out eating, so I haven't figured out who is laying the really true blue eggs. I've narrowed it down to three suspects. None of the suspects have tufts, and only one is rumpless. Oh well.

lol sounds about right eh? once you find out who she is, pic a nice rumpless and tufted by to pair her with and hatch copious amounts of chicks lol.

It is a pretty day so I took some picutes

This group is what I hatched last fall. They are all tufted except the blue girl on the right.

Rumbull - I love that barred rooster! I have developed a strain of barred Plymouth Rock that have peacombs and lay blue/green eggs. (From crosses with what were probably what you call over there "Easter eggers) A question for the learned ladies and gents on here - if I put a Lavender Araucana rooster over the barred hens would the barred colour be dominant?

Cheers

Michael

Blue Pullets

She has the most uniform and full tufts

Tufts, glorious tufts!

Barred/Cuckoo project and splash pullet

One of the pullets laid her first egg today!

It is the egg in the middle. On the left is an araucana and the right is from the same hen that hatched my barred/cuckoo boy.
I got a blue pullet from Cathy that had some faint barring as a chick. She is the oldest of the young ones and her face has looked red the last few weeks so I believe it is her egg. I will keep her and the cuckoo boy penned up together soon and start incubating.

Back
Top Bottom