Araucana???

danee89

Hatching
May 11, 2016
West Virginia
I bought my first set of chickens from Southern States.Unfortunately, only 1 survived out of six. They told me she is an Araucana. I get the idea that these guys didn't really know much about what they had and I'm still learning. What do you think?

Last edited:
Hello. You have a beautiful chicken. Unfortunately, she is not an Araucana. If she has blue or green eggs then she is an Easter Egger. I have a bunch of them and one just started laying turquoise eggs.

The Araucana was developed from two South American chickens, one of which was rumpless. Here is a link that explains the differences between the three different breeds (technically easter eggers aren't considered a breed).

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

Hello. You have a beautiful chicken. Unfortunately, she is not an Araucana. If she has blue or green eggs then she is an Easter Egger. I have a bunch of them and one just started laying turquoise eggs.

The Araucana was developed from two South American chickens, one of which was rumpless. Here is a link that explains the differences between the three different breeds (technically easter eggers aren't considered a breed).

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html
That's the thing, she hasn't started laying yet. She's 24 weeks old and still nothing. She is squatting when I pick her up though so it should be any time now :) I was pretty sure she wasn't an Araucana though. Thanks for the info!

She's a pretty typical hatchery-type Easter Egger. From the looks of her comb, she should be laying within another two weeks. Some can be very slow to mature. With that pea comb, odds for blue or green eggs are good.

She's a pretty typical hatchery-type Easter Egger. From the looks of her comb, she should be laying within another two weeks. Some can be very slow to mature. With that pea comb, odds for blue or green eggs are good.

Thanks for the info! I honestly don't care what breed she is, I love her just the same. She was my first baby.

Back
Top Bottom