Araucanas, Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers?

4dfeathers

Hatching
May 10, 2015
On February 20th, I bought 6 Araucanas. They now have small tails. I do not think Araucanas have even small tails. So are they Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers? I think they were about 2 weeks old when I got them. I guess I will have to wait to see what color eggs they will lay. I think only 2 of the 6 are hens. Still waiting for that as well. Jury is still out . . .

Araucan have tufts and are rumpless. Ameraucana have muffs, beards, have slate legs, only come in a few colors, and only lay blue eggs. Any chicken that does not meet the breed standard for either breeds but does lay either a blue or green egg is an Easter Egger. Unless you got your birds from a breeder that shows their birds and adheres to the breed standard when breeding; you have Easter Eggers. If you post pictures on the easter egger sexing thread, you can get a good idea of who's a boy and who's a girl.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. X2 on BantamFan4Life; most likely you have Easter Eggers which are hybrids produced by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers to produce offspring that will lay eggs in colors other than just blue. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the difference between Araucanas, Ameraucanas, and Easter Eggers. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Easter eggers are good layers and very popular (probably because a lot of hatcheries pass them off as different breeds). Later the buyers realize they have EE's instead but, by then they like them and don't complain. Welcome to Backyard chickens, hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Back
Top Bottom