Arctic Blast Coming - Any Suggestions?

Pics
How did everyone do this weekend?

Knock on wood, all 5 girls survived and were fairly active during the coldest day. The plastic wind block was a HUGE help for them. My water plate couldn't keep up but having to unfreeze it and put fresh water out once each day was a small price to pay for having all of them make it through.

How did everyone do this weekend?

Knock on wood, all 5 girls survived and were fairly active during the coldest day. The plastic wind block was a HUGE help for them. My water plate couldn't keep up but having to unfreeze it and put fresh water out once each day was a small price to pay for having all of them make it through.
glad to hear your girls are all good! mine survived as well, a little frost bite to the tips of the bigger combs but overall they look good. it's sunny and above freezing now, so it's very strange! the wind breaks help tremendously as did the heaps of fresh dry bedding before the cold snap, and extra food left in the coop for them to nibble when needed.

Thank you for asking. Mine are doing well, currently pecking at a cabbage. I ended up putting a 2x4 in the dog crate for them to perch on. Thank you all for the suggestions!
I really hope that that insane cold won't return, but this weekend, I'm going to ask my boyfriend to get an extension cable through the wire!

This weekend an arctic blast is coming which will bring the temperature to 15 degrees below zero for one night. My chickens have never experienced this before, the coldest they have been through so far is about 2 degrees.

I recently purchased a heating pad which should help. It only raises the coop temperature by 5 to 10 degrees but they can get very warm if they stand next to it.

Do you believe a tarp would help? I want to make sure they get enough ventilation but I really want to reduce drafts as much as possible. I will also duct tape the ventilation window- it's shut but there are thin gaps around the edges.

I will also feed them hot oatmeal and give them warm water. But I'll only let them out for an hour or so on Saturday, I'll be keeping them inside most of the day. Will probably let them outside twice to make sure they get enough water, but if it's below zero they probably won't need much water anyway.

Any suggestions on what I should do is appreciated.
Good Morning, When I was faced with the same problem a few days ago, We put in a good 6 inches of fresh straw in the nesting area, I put up a large tarp from top to bottom to block any drafts while leaving enough cross ventilation to keep them from frostbite, My ladies made it fine no problems, I don’t know if it helps but I also made certain they had plenty extra cracked corn to help them keep warm.
I have 7 hens and they take care of each other by getting close and sharing body warmth.
I have a feeling they are much stronger than we give them credit for. You might also rub vaseline on their combs and waddles will help fight off frost bite! 🐔🐣⛄🥚

I agree on their resiliency! It's actually quite amazing...but they do need our help sometimes.

I did the cracked corn thing, too. They seemed surprised I gave them their corn snack crumbles so late in the day and even left them with a corn-snack cake in their coop. It was definitely pecked at quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom